sealing laminate flooring

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
anyone here have laminate with a tank sitting on it? i have new laminate in my office and just moved my tank in. forgot about sealing the joints and was wondering if there was an easy topical sealer that i could use. ive done some googling on it when the floor was first put in and found a few sealers that you are supposed to use before installing. as far as topical ive seen recommendations for using thompsons water seal and some for using wax. just wondering if any of you have experience or recommendations

Never thought if it, but I'll be sealing my next vacant rentals with wax :)
Thompsons is good too but wouldn't think you could go wrong with wax!

I sprayed down the exposed wood in my sump room with a Thompson's Water Seal product, seems to do the job of keeping the moisture at bay.

I also applied it to my 2x4 stands, and so far I haven't noticed any swelling... And I've flooded the garage a few times with RODI water.

thanks guys. im going to see if i can find some left over scraps from the install and do some testing with wax and thomosons and see which i like better. if not, i know one of my friends just installed some laminate so ill snag a piece from him. what brand of wax are you using debbie?

GiulianoM;1080697 wrote: Just remember, waxing floors usually makes them slippery.

i was actually just planning on putting down wax in the seams because the surface of the laminate we got has a clear coat of some kind of protective resin and it dosent need sealing. but the joints have a very tiny bit of the pressboard, or whatever kind of material it is, exposed so thats really all i want to seal.im planning on laying down a bead on the seam and wipeing off the excess.

Back