sebae spawn?

wayb

Market
Reaction score
Lights are almost all off and I see little green balls floating and water murky. Sebae looked weird then I saw it spew more green balls. Is it a spawn and should I do a water change?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
362628=17693-sebae.jpg
>
362628=17693-sebae.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sebae.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
362628=17692-spawn.jpg
>
362628=17692-spawn.jpg
class="gc-images" title="spawn.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

It must be a female releasing eggs. My guess is that it's good food for the inverts. I wouldn't worry about h20 changes yet.

Wayb
It is a spawn.:thumbs:
Not sure if Sebae's are hermaphrodites or not (self-fertilize). I know someone that could help there. Will just emailed him. I should be able to give some more detailed information after talking with him.
If you could collect some of the eggs Please? It should be pretty obvious if they are fertilized. If they are fertilized, I would think they are Very Much worth raising.
OH, and they do both, Asexual (split) and Sexual (Spawning). If I remember, spawning follows a lunar cycle.
John

Thanks for the info John. The eggs are gone now and the water has cleared up. Didn't think about collecting some eggs. I thought I read somewhere that sebea's don't split. But could wrong It's 4 years old and never has split or moved.
Wayne

Wayne
If it did this once, it will probably do it again. Again, probably on a lunar cycle.
Sebae anemones get quite large, QUITE large. I would guess that they would rarely split in the captive environment, even if they did in the wild.

I would personally like to see some of those eggs under my microscope and get some pics, at least. Please shoot me a PM when it happens.
John

Back