Seeding Lava Rock

tgray3

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone used lava rock in their tank in combination with live rock? I have about 60 lbs of live rock in my 55 and was thinking about using some lava rock to fill in some spots. I know it will eventually be seeded by the live rock but have read some mixed reviews on line about it. I was wondering if anyone has used it and with what results.

Its certainly porous enough....... Try it!

(wash it really good first)

i would be very hesitant to use it in any reef tank. it gets it's red color from iron and other heavy metals like nickel that are in lava.

I've read about the iron content in the red Lava rock also. The rock I've looked at is black and is being sold as "reef safe" If i try it i think I'll put it in a QT and take tests on the water for a month or two. I've made the mistake of buying something that i was told was "Reef Safe" before only to find out that it really isn't.

I just read an article about algae.

The author, was an experienced reefer who used to use lava rock back in the day.

The article proceeded to explain in great detail cause and effect of his algae problems and what he did to combat them.

In the end all the lava rock was removed from the tank, replaced with live rock and the algae problems subsided.

Can't find the article but just read it yesterday.

Seedless Reefer;341391 wrote: I just read an article about algae.

The author, was an experienced reefer who used to use lava rock back in the day.

The article proceeded to explain in great detail cause and effect of his algae problems and what he did to combat them.

In the end all the lava rock was removed from the tank, replaced with live rock and the algae problems subsided.

Can't find the article but just read it yesterday.

I think I've read that same article. In that case, a large amount of Lava Rock was used in the tank. The proposed application here is supplimental. The blackish/greyish lava rock in small quantities should be fine, IMO, but cycling it outside the tank would be the way to go if heavy metals are suspect.

We have a single, large Lava Rock in a biocube (with 7 or 8 other pieces of live rock)and it has caused no problems I am aware of. The clownfish LOVE the 2 holes it contains, and both Zoas and GSP have grown on it - plus coraline algae. It did take longer for corals to grow on it, but not much longer. It has been in the tank about 6 months.

I had a lava rock back in the 80s... would NOT use it again.

We had a customer with all kinds of problems in his tank - after several visits and several dozen questions, we found he had lava rock. He took it out, replaced with live rock... problems subsided.

I always thought the issue was phosphate... and it could be that it is, in addition to heavy metals etc.

I don't recommend its use.

Jenn

Thanks for the info. I decided to pass on the lava rock. Just too many issues associated with it and not worth the risk. I appreciate everyone's input. Probably saved me a lot of headaches down the road.

Back