Senior project disaster

elithelion

Market
Reaction score
Got home from school at 3 and went to check the system. The door was open and the seal on my left drainage bulkhead was broken. Probably lost about 100gal of water, but luckily I have a 100gal sump. My theory is I didn't close the door all the way this morning, which led to my puppy (40lb lab) getting in there and playing around

Immediately took all the corals and my two tangs in the sump (harder than it sounds) and drained the DT. Going to lowes now to get silicon to reseal the bulkhead. Everything is a total mess and this couldn't have come at a worse time. I was supposed to make phone calls to scholarship programs not be foot deep in saltwater :yay:

I'm thinking about going ahead and doing the auction for all the donated frags, and going ahead and selling all my personal frags as well. I guess we'll see how it goes. I just hope none of the livestock dies.

If at all possible I would recommend changing the bulkhead out for a new one. Yes it will be more work, but I think something like a broken bulkhead is worth fixing the right away to avoid another issue in the future. Silicone will only seal that bulkhead for so long. Trying to seal plastic to glass using silicone is only a temp fix as glue should be used for plastics and silicone should be used for glass.

Jakub

aXio;1067068 wrote: If at all possible I would recommend changing the bulkhead out for a new one. Yes it will be more work, but I think something like a broken bulkhead is worth fixing the right away to avoid another issue in the future. Silicone will only seal that bulkhead for so long. Trying to seal plastic to glass using silicone is only a temp fix as glue should be used for plastics and silicone should be used for glass
Jakub

Should have been more specific. The silicone seal is whats broken, not the actual bulkhead.

I hated when I read your post. I hope things turn around and you can get your scholarships and have no lost of livestock. Keep focused on the scholarship potentials and hopefully the reef things will fall in place where you need them to be.

Wannabee

So very sorry to hear this!
what size bulkhead is it?
I think most people would agree even if the bulkhead didn't break because it is now used, it would be in your best interest to replace it with a new one.
I've got a 1 inch inch and silicone. Also Inneed to come see you and pick up that 10 gallon.
Have you purchased anything yet?

I replaced and have everything sealed up now. I'm going to do the water test when I get home today and hopefully have everything back where it belongs by tonight.

Back