setting up 30 gal

dabo

Market
Reaction score
been getting all my info from my lfs and set the tank up now that i have got internet i have not seen even one aquarium with undergravel filter is this bad for saltwater and i was just going to keep mushrooms , zoanthids ,palys and 2 fish also need to know if the standard light is ok

any help at all would be great thanks

eric

That filter will not work from what i have head, and for lighting you will probably need at least Power Compacts

well what kind of filter should i use and how big and one of the bulbs that ive got is a coralife actinic f20 t12 bp , the other is a natural daylight f15t8 these are not ok

Ok well what size tanks? I would either do a canister filter or an emperor 280 just remove the bio-wheel. And the light sounds like it could do the low light corals you want. I would get another opinion

hey i used to have a cabin in morganton. now we built a new one in blue ridge.

anyway, welcome to the club :welcome: these forums will give you much more valuable information than a local fish store. sucks but most of them are just looking to run their business and are not always the most knowledgeable.

have you been going to that pet store by the yamaha and polaris dealer? that seems like a good store with nice stuff. the employees are friendly. however i dont know about their knowledge and have never bought anything live there, just bird food and stuff.

my first tank, 12 gallons, had a filter than you hang on the back and 2 compact florescents. it worked ok but power compact is better. its good to have a daylight and actinic. i upgraded to those in my all in one aquapod and my corals are much happier. i have mostly softies too like mushrooms, zoas, and palys.

what size is your tank? i might be able to give you a frag next time i go up to our cabin. is it set up yet?

yes thats where i go for every thing until i thought they were full of it.
plus they will not order any coral until what they have has sold.
the coral they have has been in there for 9 months they only have one tank thats about 90 gal for coral .
my tank is a 30 gal been set up for about 2 1/2 to 3 months and a frag of what and how much would it be

haha i just realized the title of your thread answered my questions of how big your tank is

sucks that they wont order anything. thats kind of lame. there's been a couple of times ive made trips down to atlanta just to hit up fish stores and meet other members for fish and frags. i make it an all day event and its fun. once money is saved up of course. you should consider becoming a member of arc. the discount helps especially when you are first buying all your stuff.

ive got red/purple mushrooms. i also have kenya tree and pom pom xenia if you want it. and some green skirt zoas and brown palys. zoas dont grow as fast for me though. check out my thread in the member tanks forum. the first frag is free! just let me know when your tank is ready and ill let you know when im in the area.

post some photos of what you got setup so far!

i would like to join just things are tight right now with money working all the time but as soon as i get a chance i will for sure.

i dont have nothing to post pics yet got to wait for more money to come in

i could maybe use my sisters ill half to check

and of course i would like to have all of your shrooms but what you will give me is fine and i would be very greatful and would owe you big time

I vote no filter because all your beneficial bacteria on your live rock is your filtration, it is the best kind you can get. And just make sure that you have good water flow.
Chris-number two at fish scales..

ya buying good live rock is a good thing. rock and sand are important for saltwater filtration.
do you have anything yet or just some equipment?
if you haven't bought sand yet you could get the "live" kind at the store. some say it cant be very live. but i went the cheap way and bought playground sand at home depot and spent more on rock. the sand soon become full of little living things anyway.
i understand about money.

yes i have live sand 3 inches , undergravel filter with filter pad , two power heads , heater , 30 gal tank with 30 gal sump not hooked up yet and protein skimmer , i got 30 little polyps on 2 inch rock today light brown for $3 and the guy gave me like 1 inch of star polyps. i also have six line wrasse.

your tank looks good. hope mine turns out good

thanks. ive put a lot of work into it. are you going to be around tomorrow afternoon/evening? we are coming up and i could bring you some kenya tree. i have some in a tank i left at home and havent done much with. the coral is surviving instead of thriving but im sure it will perk up if you want it.

you might not need to talk to me right now me and the guys in another thread not getting along might get kicked out but yes i would love some

yes ill be here all day

i looked that kenya tree up it looks cool how big does it get and if it get to big anyway i could get a little mushroom , zoa , paly i dont know something small

Back