Setting up a new tank

siege

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I'm about to start a new tank; in the planning process, I'm trying to make sure I have all the proper equipment. I have a 30 gallon all-glass non-drilled (I believe it's an AGA anyway), as well as a 10 gallon to serve as a QT tank, which maybe I will be able to find a way to plumb in to use to stabilize sump wter level when not in use s a QT tank, and I am having a stand custom made by a friend (so I need to finalize the rest of these details before I can give him specs on the stand). Anyway, I am going to list below the items I have on my checklist with an "(X)" next to the ones I already have. If any of you can think of anything else I might absolutely need but haven't listed, or have any addendums, details or suggestions on what items I have</em> listed and where I can get them on the cheap (I'm poor!) near Kennesaw, I'd greatly appreciate all input.

30 gallon tank (X)
10-20 gallon sump-box
10 gallon QT tank (X)
Python [hose]
Water buckets w/ lids
Salt
Lights
Sump/fuge lights (X)
SSG meter / refractometer
pH test kit
Egg crate
Sand
Live sand
Heaters (I have 2, need at least 1 more)
Skimmer
Sump fixin's
Power heads
Plumbing (I could use help/advice on this)

Am I missing anything critical to a starting tank? I know I could spend a fortune on chemicals and test kits, but I'm not really worried about those at the moment unless there is something you feel is really just incredibly critical. Otherwise, if I've missed something, or you have dvice, comments, or a line on a specifc item, please let me know.

As for the sump, I'm going to try something new. I have had the luck to make the acquaintance of a person who did the initial design and setup of a major international aquarium before being struck by a disability. I was given the suggestion of NOT using excessivly filtered water (so long as it is free of copper and heavy metals) so as to not strip out necessary mineral content. In order to cope with overrun, it was suggested that I use a diffuser plate at the water return in my sump to fall on a heavily scratched glass plate before entering the fuge/filter portion of the sump. The sump or plate area is to be lit 18-24 hours a day (24 hours at tank establishment), and then dead and dying corals and live-rock are to be placed in the display which is not to be lit at all. Live sand is then added, and any algaes present will be encouraged to grow on said glass plate, acting as a prefilter even to any macro algaes that may be placed in the fuge, and giving any of the more aggressive and opportunistic algaes a specific place to go where they may be controlled and removed with ease, while still performing as a natural filter, just not in the display tank itself.

So, I liked the idea, even tho it may be most appropriate to very large setups, I think it might work for me. I am always, however, open to suggestion. My advisor (whom I just don't want to pester) favors a very naturalistic approach, such as with the diffuser plate and algae simulating the algae on rocks at the shoreline, alternating the skimmer on and off every 4-8 hours to simulate tidal action, the diffuser simulating rainfall, and other things, and I think I'd like to take this approach.

I live in Kennesaw now, and have mostly finished cleaning my new home. I'd love to meet with anybody local who might care to provide suggestions or help... I can supply beers and have a neat computer store to hang out in 100 meters from my home (humble as it is)... Maybe steaks to anyone who puts in blood, sweat or tears (note: we are a smoking environment here [in the computer store also] for those who might be bothered by this).

Thanks for reading all this; Cheers!

Siege

zzit kind of late so I am going to make it short.,

Look like you got everything you going to need, if you add an ro/di and a auto topoff then that could be everything. May add in a chiller and heater later.
How was thaat for short?

If your not drilling the tank you will need an HOB overflow.

I'm not a plumber, but I had the advantage of having an unused identical setup (of my in house) tank in my barn and I did my plumbing on it. I experimented with many designs before I settled on the current setup. Also no matter how careful you try to be that purple pvc cleaner fluid will get on you and hang around for a week or so! lol I even had gloves on.

I am considering drilling the tank, but have no experience at this. I also question whether it's worth it on a 30 gallon - another thing I would certainly appreciate advice on.

pm chrisjet about the tank drilling. its pretty simple. I have done it with a dremel that had a diamond bit cutting piece and ran it under running water while cutting. also, aga's have a tempered bottom but the sides aren't. So don't try cutting the bottom, just cut the back panel.

Let me know i will drill it for you, i am close to marietta - i can also help out with your plumbing situation

siege;78385 wrote: I am considering drilling the tank, but have no experience at this. I also question whether it's worth it on a 30 gallon - another thing I would certainly appreciate advice on.

Drill it! I wish I would have originally instead of using a HOB.

siege;78385 wrote: I am considering drilling the tank, but have no experience at this. I also question whether it's worth it on a 30 gallon - another thing I would certainly appreciate advice on.

I will never go HOB again... drill drill drill!

And definitely pick Chris' brain regarding plumbing. He designed the plumbing on the 54g he drilled for us and it's so beautifully quiet. He really should go into business doing this.

Algae scrubbers are excellent nutrient exporters since they cultivate lower algae than refugiums. I've thought about one as a solution to my own rather rough algae problem, but haven't quite set on an implementation methodology. Sounds like a cool experiment.

My only thought on the design is that plexiglass/acrylic might work better for the scratching surface and you'll want some kind of containment to catch pieces that break off since you wouldn't want them chummed in a return pump and dumped into the display.

George;78433 wrote: Algae scrubbers are excellent nutrient exporters since they cultivate lower algae than refugiums. I've thought about one as a solution to my own rather rough algae problem, but haven't quite set on an implementation methodology. Sounds like a cool experiment.

My only thought on the design is that plexiglass/acrylic might work better for the scratching surface and you'll want some kind of containment to catch pieces that break off since you wouldn't want them chummed in a return pump and dumped into the display.

I mentioned this to my friend, who told me that she prefers the glass because it's esier to maintain. Yes, it *is* harder to rough up, but she said actually getting the algae off of the glass is a lot easier than a softer material that might shave off along with the algae.

And yeah, I had intended having a series of floss filters and/or a polyfilter (or room for them) in the sump box in-line prior to the actual pump.

Thanks for the advice all, I've never had drilled setup, but I got the impression that was totally the way to go.

Anybody who'd like to come up to the computer store is welcome to do so, or I can come to you. The store technically closes at 6:30pm, but we're here hanging out all night - just shoot me a PM, or I'll send you one soon; I could certainly use the help! :D

Cheers,

Siege

Back