Setting up an RODI system

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
So I bought a dvoneb aqua RO/DI unit off of a posting here (supposed to be new and it looks it). It's 6 stage.

So I hooked it up and let it run for a bit, did a test and it was 1 ppm TDS. Yeah, not zero but I'm fine with 1. Maybe my sampling was contaminated or something.

Anyway, it's really slow. It's been running for about 7 hrs and I have about 1 gallon. I don't know what rate it is for gph, how do I find out?

Even if it's 24g per day, it will never make that much in a 24 hr period.

I was thinking water pressure, but don't think that is it. I'm not sure how to test it.

Anyone have suggestions on what's wrong? Also, any knowlegable people in my area have time to come take a look and make sure I haven't done anything silly with it?

Lowes or HD has pressure guages just hook it to your garden hose fitting and turn it on. 60 psi is what most RO need.

you have to have at least over 50 lbs of pressure. i had to buy a booster pump for that very reason. are you on well water?

Not on well water. My friend is coming over to test it after work.

I only see one, that's on the output. I'll have to look at it a bit closer tonight...maybe something is not open.
mapleredta;79224 wrote: all the valves are opened up fully?

check to see if there is a valve to flush the unit. Mine is located at the waste line. If it is fully open, then all your water is going to waste and flushing the unit. Close it and more water should come out of your "good" line.

Water pressure is 80 psi.

Thanks Raj...I'll check that.

Honestly, I think it's just not piped correctly.

I know how you feel. My RODI system has been up for over 10 days. Trying to fill my 180 gallon. It started off strong, close to 50 gpd, but then kept slowing down. I would flush it out for a while, but now it is not even close to how it was. I'm getting frustrated with it and I'm thinking about going to Publix and buying their RODI water at $0.30 per gallon...I hope they still have that deal. I should have done that in the first place since I'm filling the tank up now. I think that would be better for my frustration levels and the overall wear and tear on my RODI unit. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

bring it to the meet. I know those units by heart and will be able to help you 100%.

You might want to double check your water pressure if you measured the pressure at an outside hose bib. You typically have two hose bibs, one at street pressure and one at house pressure (after the pressure reducing valve). Most homes are set at about 40 psi to protect the dishwasher, refrigerator, and other home appliances that use/dispense water. Those appliances use plastic valves that have a higher potential for failing at higher pressure. So for you to have some good pressure in the yard, home builders will often put at least one hose bib outside at street pressure (which varies wildly depending on how close you are to the city water tower and other factors). If you have 80 psi in your home, I would be worried and would have someone adjust your pressure reducing valve on the incoming line.

That being said, make sure that you have the waste valve closed properly rather than wide open. Or if your system uses a flow restrictor insert rather than a valve, make sure that it is installed. A RO works forcing water through the membrane, it really doesn't want to go. You do that by resticting the dirty water line with a valve or restrictor (valves are better in my opinion). So now you are forcing some water to go through the membrane. DO NOT completely close off the discharge line or the salt will have no place to go in your membrane and will eventually foul it so bad that water won't flow through and you will have to replace it.

Another question - since you bought the membrane used, how long did it sit around before you bought it? Was the membrane ever allowed to dry out? If so, that is bad, that can seriously damage the membrane.

Pressure was tested outside on the hose. I hope my kitchen isn't going to explode!

Okay, part of the problem was me. It appears my 7g water jug had a crack in it! So I got a new jug and set it to fill. In 5 hours, I have about 5 gallons.

I'm going to bring it to the meeting and have Ouling look at it. I'm a bit confused on how it works...seems like the top two containers are not part of the loop that sends out the cleaned water?

That being said, I bought water for this week so not going to run it anymore in fear of breaking it.

Back