Sex

My understanding is you can’t have two males in a tank. How does one go about getting a male and a female then?

I dont know.
Ive tried buying 2 juvenile yellow coris and they were fine together for awhile until they werent...I assumed that was when they both started to transition to males. At which point one would chase the other around so much that it couldn't eat or stayed buried for long periods of time. I've also tried 2 china wrasses unsuccessfully.

Without an established hierarchy, they all transition to male. These things live in harems in the wild and don’t “pair up”. So don’t waste your money trying to hunt down another female when the previous goes male, it won’t work.

Without an established hierarchy, they all transition to male. These things live in harems in the wild and don’t “pair up”. So don’t waste your money trying to hunt down another female when the previous goes male, it won’t work.
Not what I wanted to hear but helpful, thank you.

I think bird wrasse have been successfully paired up. But say goodbye to all your shrimp, crabs and clam if you have one.

Back