Sharkey’s DIY Live Rock

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
So I finally started my DIY live rock process.

True to my style, I researched many recipes that others have used, and input the data into a spreadsheet. I’ve then mixed up my first batch, using the smallest percentage of cement compound, and am attempting a large ~30” Tonga style branch rock, approximately 3” diameter, with 3 split branches in different directions (not flat), an attempt at a rounded cross-section (I dislike artificial square-looking branches), and a Millipora texture surface.

Data at all steps are being recorded, planned, and time stamped.

This is just attempt #1. I’m expecting it to fail, I just don’t know how. Whatever the results, I will be able to learn from it, and improve.

once I am satisfied with the recipe, I’ll be happy to post it! as well as explanations for how other recipes failed. I will also post photos occasionally to show any progress

This concrete is great for Tonga & Marco type structures. I'm interested to see how you make out once you get the mix ratios the way you want them.

Ever since I first saw Marine Pure plates and now the Xport plates fro Brightwell I've wondered how hard it would be to make reef rock out of the same material.
It's only been a thought till this point. I just did a quick search and found autoclaved aerated concrete.

The first trial is out, and curing in water now.

One branch broke off unfortunately, and I already have ideas on methods to improve the texture, the shape, the tips, and how the branches grow from the base.

However, this recipe used much less cement than nearly all DIY recipes online and it still seems to hold against some resistance. We will see how strong it remains after a couple months of curing and dissolving all the internal salt. The new recipe will test thinner and more complex branches.

Meanwhile, here are some pics of the Round 1 DIY Branch rock.

67BD9711-0907-450A-B873-52C2AFFCE479.jpeg352E6D10-5AE2-4872-96EC-E76EDDBDE2D9.jpeg0C536084-47AB-4287-A64B-643090D677FC.jpeg

Test branch #2... no breakage, despite higher salt content (more porous) and thinner branches. I did not smooth over nor texturize rock #2. I prefer the texture, and will do so on future branches.

A tall thin archway rock is next. I didn’t compress the archway when forming it, so we will see how it holds.

Meanwhile, these two large branch rocks will continue curing.

RODI Carbon filter for scale

4A978190-9665-4768-BDC6-38CF7E1F76D8.jpeg

Test branch #2... no breakage, despite higher salt content (more porous) and thinner branches. I did not smooth over nor texturize rock #2. I prefer the texture, and will do so on future branches.

A tall thin archway rock is next. I didn’t compress the archway when forming it, so we will see how it holds.

Meanwhile, these two large branch rocks will continue curing.

RODI Carbon filter for scale

View attachment 27176
Man those look good!

This is so cool - I've been thinking about Tonga rock but didn't wanna pay the prices for it. I can't wait to get the How-To on this!

Thanks guys!

Two things I’m curious about;
1) If I make very thin branches, will they maintain their structure or crumble.
2) Can I decrease the cement and increase the salt, even more than any of the recipes I found, and still maintain structure without the rock crumbling.
... at some point, both of those will fail. I want to find out where.

Rock #003: Thin Archway

I wanted to test this recipe with a thin piece of rock, and opted to do an Arch. I also added a few bumps and small cavities.

It’s about 21” long, and 7” deep... an experimental size that would make it perfect for many standard tank dimensions. At 1” thick, we will see how well it holds up after more curing... then I will bang it around and see if it breaks easily.

After I nail down a preferred recipe, I’ll probably make similar arches around this size... with varying differences.

4B146C50-AD6B-47C1-A23D-891FF5E54810.jpeg

Update on the sizes

Rock #001:
2 Point thick Branch rock - 23 lbs

Rock #002:
4 Point medium branch rock - 16.8 lbs

Rock #003:
Thin Arch rock - 15.2 lbs

Rock #004: Thin Complex branch
Broke in multiple places... great! I now have 1 set of limitations!

Rock #005: will be a Medium Plate
Same recipe as #004, but thicker.
Photos coming soon.

I completely forgot that I used this in my last basement to fill some voids, even a spot under my stand for the 220 after it was in place. Ricky and I thought about using it to make frag plugs. There's no stone aggregate, only sand. It should be easy to work with for this application and sets pretty fast. I still have a good bit left if you want it.

@Adam Sure, but only if you don’t think you’ll put it to use. I’m happy to do so, and see and report how it compares.
It'll be quite a while before I'd need it and I'm happy to donate it for higher learning ;) I'd really like to see how it stacks up in your project. I'm interested to see what mix ratios work best so I can apply it to making larger frag plugs. Something I won't be able to do anytime soon with the projects I already have going on.

I'll dig through the basement tonight and find the box. Need to make sure the bag is intact inside and it didn't turn into a block. If It's all good I'll bring it into my office so you don't have to drive all the way up to my house. Or we could coordinate with someone you'll be seeing soon to pick it up.

Also, when I'm done cleaning the rest of my rock You're more than welcome to bring larger pieces over and we can throw them in the stock tank to soak in RODI to leach off.

I've searched all over and can't find the box. I'll buy one or PP you so you can pick one up locally. I'm really interested to see what you think of it and how it will work this type of application.

I've searched all over and can't find the box. I'll buy one or PP you so you can pick one up locally. I'm really interested to see what you think of it and how it will work this type of application.
Haha... no worries. Let’s table that idea. After I’ve worked on this concrete recipe for a while, learned the ins and outs, then I’ll test the new concrete.

Back