Sharks in Home Aquariums

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
What are your favorite sharks?

Aren’t they awesome?

Have you considered or do you have a shark; in a reef tank or a predator tank? Just wanted to create a place for open shark discussion.

Last edited:
I so wish I could afford a shark setup
Yeah; they can be pricey and really need a large predator tank.

My favorites:
•Zebra shark,
•Leopard shark -both too big for aquariums
•Dwarf Lantern shark -Only a few inches long and flourescent, but requires high pressure and cold water
•Chainlink Dogfish shark -also fluoresces, requires cold water

This narrows my list down to:
•Coral catshark,
•Bamboo shark,
•Epaulette Shark, or
•Short tail nurse shark....

However, still:
•they are often jumpers (with a fish that big, you want to secure your lid with bricks),
•they’re very dirty (need much bigger skimmer, and frequent WCs),
•They often destroy corals, knocking things over constantly, as they burrow through the reefs and rockwork (so no stacked rocks; every rock is in the sandbed)
•and of course, they can potentially eat any fish, inverts, clams (so limited inverts, and no bite-size fish).

For every issue, there is a solution. But for me, Its not worth it to get one at this time. But they sure are beautiful and amazing fish though! And they will always be my favorite!

Last edited:
You could always get one of those fish type ponds and use that as your tank. It would be more of a top down view though. Kind of like rick has at his shop.

Yeah; they can be pricey and really need a large predator tank.

My favorites:
•Zebra shark,
•Leopard shark -both too big for aquariums
•Dwarf Lantern shark -Only a few inches long and flourescent, but requires high pressure and cold water
•Chainlink Dogfish shark -also fluoresces, requires cold water

This narrows my list down to:
•Coral catshark,
•Bamboo shark,
•Epaulette Shark, or
•Short tail nurse shark....

However, still:
•they are often jumpers (with a fish that big, you want to secure your lid with bricks),
•they’re very dirty (need much bigger skimmer, and frequent WCs),
•They often destroy corals, knocking things over constantly, as they burrow through the reefs and rockwork (so no stacked rocks; every rock is in the sandbed)
•and of course, they can potentially eat any fish, inverts, clams (so limited inverts, and no bite-size fish).

For every issue, there is a solution. But for me, Its not worth it to get one at this time. But they sure are beautiful and amazing fish though! And they will always be my favorite!
Oh I am in no way preparing to keep one I just admire them from a distance. I’m a big fan of the Black Tip, Epaulette and Nurse Sharks

You could always get one of those fish type ponds and use that as your tank. It would be more of a top down view though. Kind of like rick has at his shop.
I have seen Rit’s pond type tank in person and I’m a fan but if I were lucky enough to be able to afford fish that require such a large system I would want it to be a in wall install. I believe this same type of pond style setup exist at The Fish Store As well.

Wife says if we don't use the pool I can turn it into a shark tank. So, here's hoping I can be like Tiger King and charge yall to come swim with them.

I adore coral banded - I think they have cute faces.

I'm not familiar with many you listed... I realize there's a niche for keeping all kinds of things, but I thought sharks were relatively taboo along with octopii... especially those blue ring ones that I used to see every once in a while (face palm).

Wife says if we don't use the pool I can turn it into a shark tank. So, here's hoping I can be like Tiger King and charge yall to come swim with them.

I adore coral banded - I think they have cute faces.

I'm not familiar with many you listed... I realize there's a niche for keeping all kinds of things, but I thought sharks were relatively taboo along with octopii... especially those blue ring ones that I used to see every once in a while (face palm).
I'm down for swimming with the sharks! lol

• Haha
Reactions: bzb
Ive considered buying one of those pools that are made of the thick material and hatching a bamboo shark. Still on the table just gotta do more research lol.

Honestly, very few people have tanks large enough to properly accommodate sharks. Even the small ones really need more space than is typically given. I've seen people cram them in and it doesn't look like living to me... It's better for us to just enjoy them at facilities that are equipped for them:

source.gif

True! My brother's girlfriend works at the aquarium she took me above that tank and above the reef tank it was crazy they have aton of smaller saltwater ponds up there and i think they were in the process of breeding some fish.

I'm down for swimming with the sharks! lol

My first customer! I'm growing out my quarantine mullet to prepare. As long as Carole Baskins doesn't show up should be good to go.

True! My brother's girlfriend works at the aquarium she took me above that tank and above the reef tank it was crazy they have aton of smaller saltwater ponds up there and i think they were in the process of breeding some fish.

The tanks are unbelievable there. If you ever get the chance, you have to do the animal interactions. The Belugas are amazing.

But they ain't gotta swim with the sharks program. I got you fam.

I might go when they open back up but its not gonna be for a while they arent opening ticket sales till like june or july

The tanks are unbelievable there. If you ever get the chance, you have to do the animal interactions. The Belugas are amazing.

But they ain't gotta swim with the sharks program. I got you fam.

Sure they do - you can scuba or snorkel in Ocean Voyager. Great experience if you are scuba certified. I've never done the snorkel.

Sure they do - you can scuba or snorkel in Ocean Voyager. Great experience if you are scuba certified. I've never done the snorkel.
Can confirm! I’ve had my eye on doing it for a while. It’s not too expensive either, $280 for Aquarium members.

My debate is whether or not I can get in through volunteering or research though.

Back