SHHH...my tank is to loud :)

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
Finally got the 75 back up and going after the leaking mess that was before. Instead of doing a CL, I went with 2 #4's and plan on running a SEIO controller with them. If not, I'll have them on timers to come on and off 3-4 times a day.

Here is the tank :) I made a new overflow because the last one was a bit warped (cut up an old tank). This one turned out OK, but I couldn't find any opaque acrylic nearby so I used clear.
DSC_0227.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0230.jpg
alt="" />

The back of the tank is much neater, musch less likely to spring a leak. I'm happy about this, as I want this tank to be as maintenance free as possible.

DSC_0231.jpg
alt="" />

Shot of the overflow

DSC_0229.jpg
alt="" />

Shot of the sump...and the problem :) How can I quiet down the water? I was thinking of extending a piece of PVC down into the sump but then it would just bubble away correct? Maybe make some sort of shelf and put some filter floss on it?

DSC_0232.jpg
alt="" />

My dual 1.5" drains are retarded overkill. I need to upgrade the return pump! Recommendations? OR 6500?

use a filter sock, and why do you have such an extreme amount of flow going into your sump?

Is there some sort of standing hanger or something I can use to hold the sock? 1.5" bulkheads were what I had on hand, so I used them. I won't have to worry about something blocking the overflow :) I also went ahead and plumbed the second one just to see....I would like to do a fuge off to the side of this tank, and I could use that second drain to feed it.

TAftonomos;125574 wrote: Is there some sort of standing hanger or something I can use to hold the sock? 1.5" bulkheads were what I had on hand, so I used them. I won't have to worry about something blocking the overflow :) I also went ahead and plumbed the second one just to see....I would like to do a fuge off to the side of this tank, and I could use that second drain to feed it.

I think there are sock holders available.

I really like the idea of a display 'fuge. Would you have an overflow on it that drains down to the sump?

That would the the idea. Just a total gravity-type system. Drain in one side, overflow out the other and drain back into the sump.

Here's a sock holder:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~filter_media_sock.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~filter_media_sock.html</a>

Or you could just get the drawstring type.

Using a filter sock is a good suggestion.

What would quiet it down even more though is to submerge the return pipe. Then you have to worry about air bubbles so create a durso basically to allow air to escape. Put a T on the return pipe with the bottom of the T submerged and the top with a cap and hole on it. This will let air escape and and the return will be submerged and thus silenced.

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Definitely a combination of filter sock and submerging the overflow pipe. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have one observation though. Maybe it&#8217;s the angle the picture was taken, but it doesn&#8217;t look like there&#8217;s much room in your sump for overflow in the event of a power loss. Did you check for that?</span>

I would turn one drain into a CL and go with one drain and a much smaller return pump. It will sure be a lot quieter.

Back