Shims under tank and leveling stand surface

mphammer

Market
Reaction score
Wanting to get some suggestions on the best way to go about fixing my problem. My tank (rimmed) is currently sitting on a homemade stand with a surface that is damn near level. When the tank is sitting on it, there are a few 1/16" and 1/8" gaps along the bottom in various spots. I had wedged some shims in those places, snugly but not forcefully, and apparently that is a big no no. So I am trying to figure out my best option at this point. Saw dust is a no go so I cannot plane down the stand surface. These are the options I am considering:

Option A) Cut a sheet of 3/4 cabinet grade plywood and place that in between the stand and the tank. Definitely the simplest and quickest method, but I am worried the uneven spots would still be prevalent once the weight of the tank is applied to the plywood. Anybody have input on this?

Option B) Apply an epoxy resin/concrete/self leveling product to the surface of the stand. This seems like it would work well, I just do not know how long the entire process would take. Because my livestock will be in holding tanks, I am trying to avoid a long process like waiting a week for epoxy to cure.

Option C) Leave the shims.... Okay I know this is not an option. But sheesh I wish it was

Any other options I am missing would be more than welcome. I am all ears right now. Thanks everyone

I should reword one part- the stand is perfectly level, just not perfectly flat if that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two ideas:

Option D) if the gaps aren't huge (and since you're saying shims, I'm imagining under 1/8" gaps) try using a thick yoga mat. Similar to the commercial "leveling mats" that are sold for tanks.

Option E) rigid insulation foam with a sheet of 1/2" ply on top to level everything - I recommend Baltic Birch panels which are pretty cheap at Suwanee Lumber. They come in 5x5ft sheets though, so take a circular saw with you if you need to slice some off to fit in your vehicle.

I would go for option "A" but instead of plywood, I would double up a layer or two of shower pan lining. It's available at Home Dpor or Lowes and is basically a PVC sheet. I use it to fill in small gaps and even everything out.

Edit: Pretty much what bzb said.

^^ The PVC is a really solid idea, too.

Alternatively, if you're worried about moisture (I'm not, but it's not a bad idea) you can use a speaker coating (essentially truck bed liner) that waterproofs plywood. People tend to leave... cups... on subwoofers.

I have one of these under my stand and between the stand and tank

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3 Square Edge Rigid Foam Board Insulation Sheathing

Two ideas:

Option D) if the gaps aren't huge (and since you're saying shims, I'm imagining under 1/8" gaps) try using a thick yoga mat. Similar to the commercial "leveling mats" that are sold for tanks.

Option E) rigid insulation foam with a sheet of 1/2" ply on top to level everything - I recommend Baltic Birch panels which are pretty cheap at Suwanee Lumber. They come in 5x5ft sheets though, so take a circular saw with you if you need to slice some off to fit in your vehicle.
Great place to buy wood from...highly recommend them.

I would put a sheet of plywood down and shim it so it is dead flat then put the tank on that. I would also use MDO plywood, they use it for exterior signs and such. It will not come apart if it gets wet.

I see no problem with leveling wedges they're essentialy the same thing as leveling feet

Back