Should I be Using an RODI Booster?

joeyprice

Reaction score
I like to have a lot of water on hand, just in case, but it takes FOREVER to make it. After seeing the thread earlier this week about the flood I'm a little hesitant, but I guess if it goes quickly enough I can make it outside. Anybody have a recommendation?

So. Two things. Yes a booster helps. I got one forever ago from @lmm1967 and it’s amazing - literally doubles my output and there’s anecdotal evidence that supports getting more life from your DI resins when you’re doing then.

If you’re concerned with flooding you can do like I do. I use an optical sensor and a shut off solenoid valve to keep that from happening. Both configured to apex and if the sensor is on then the solenoid is off. $30 total if you have an Apex.

Something to consider also, whether you have a booster pump or not, cold weather slows production. Mine is in the garage so wintertime the production is slowed down some.

What is your water pressure?
This is the most important question in my opinion. The pressure I get in the RO housing is 65 psi and that's pretty good so I decided against the extra hassle and expense of adding a booster. Cold weather really does make a difference. Remember too, even is your unit is in a warm space in the house, the water running through it is uite a bit colder than it is in the warmer months.

A booster will produce less waste water for a given amount of RO water produced if you are under the recommended pressure for the RO/DI unit you are using. The boosters are usually noisy though too so something else to consider. We have ours under the stairs in a laundry room closet next to the water inlet/drain for the washing machine. We boost from around 32 in up to about 65 using the Aquatec 6800.

We use a booster from Aquatic Life, and it is fantastic. If you add a RoDI saver and a stand alone leak detector from AutoAqua or another similar product to the system plus this, you should not have any safety issues even if you don’t have an Apex. We have multiple sensors as back ups and floats etc, but all you need are stand alone devices not an Apex to be safe as possible.

Back