Should I build or buy my stand pipe/overflow ?

kzoo

Market
Reaction score
Just starting to setup my 180gall it doesn't have drain pipe or return pipe, should I build one or buy it. I have had noise problems in the past when i made them.

Go with the ghost overflow. Trust me....you will thank me later. If the tank is not already drilled, external overflows are the way to go. Si much cleaner of a look and it will save you a ton of real estate in the tank....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I prefer to make them myself. Mainly because the store bought kits from companies like Aqueon/All-Glass are made of plastic so they get brittle after a while. A DIY Stand/Return pipe will last much longer being made out of actual PVC. But just a heads up if you plan on using "Loc-Line" for the return that stuff adds up fast and you can easily go past the price of a store bought kit which already includes the "Loc-Line"

There are way to quiet down the overflows. Tank noise is usually a combination of loud water flow, splashing noise from the overflow, air/vapor locking in the tubing, vibrating hard plumbing, etc. Are you sure the noise was coming from inside of the stand pipe itself or just loud draining noise from the overflow box?

Hey thats for the help, yes it always is noise from the air going down the pipe or hissing from the air bleed. I have done some reading and looks like there are a couple thing to stop the noise .

kzoo;1086478 wrote: Hey thats for the help, yes it always is noise from the air going down the pipe or hissing from the air bleed. I have done some reading and looks like there are a couple thing to stop the noise .
Thanks

Back