Should I intervene?

vromb

Reaction score
So a coworker asked me to feed his fish while he's out of town--which is cool, but I when I show up the tank is a total disaster. It's a 29gal biocube with some assorted snails/crabs (TONS of empty shells) a b&w clown, banded sleeper goby, bleached out torch, and (drumroll) adult yellow tang. It's tough even seeing them through algae-crusted glass, and he just left last night so the tank hasn't been unattended. Tested the SG, it's 1.021, don't see any test kits so will take home some water. My dilemma is rescuing this tang--he looks healthy enough but it breaks my heart seeing him in there. I'm thinking about stealing him and telling my friend that he died. Am I horrible? Dude will be back on Sunday
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
960651=54274-image.jpg
>
960651=54274-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Stealing anything is horrible. . And from a friend? Some friend you are.. talk to him.. He maybe miss informed about tank size.. His fish store could be just after money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I would call him right now and tell him one of his fish needs a new home ASAP and just explain to him why this tank is to small and take it to one of your tanks or give it to someone that can care for it properly.....

Who know it might be a healthy tank but just with algae everywhere....

heathlindner25;960655 said:
If you saw a dog being horribly abused would you do something? QUOTE]

Well yes.

But mabye the tang has been in their a while and has adapted to the small tank. I am definitely not saying that it should stay. Again I would just call your buddy. I do admit if you stole it and then said that it died.. Well that would be pretty harsh.

It's not your property, you will be opening yourself to liability.
Esp. after having posted on a public forum on the internet.
I would just mention best practices and such, but no action, other than what you were asked to do.

ghbrewer;960657 wrote: It's not your property, you will be opening yourself to liability.
Esp. after having posted on a public forum on the internet.
I would just mention best practices and such, but no action, other than what you were asked to do.

This ^.

Slap your friend on the head like one of those V8 commercials then ask him permission to move the tang.

If you tell him the tang died, he might just go out and buy another one! He needs to know and you are his friend so the responsibility seems to fall on your shoulders (thats what friends are for/just don't make him feel bad, he may not know what he is doing). He may want your help to find a home for the tang.:) Has he seen how you keep you tank, that may help him decide he does need help!

Ok, I was overly emotional earlier--I'm an animal lover and can't stand seeing them being kept in depraved environments. I tested he water, ammonia is well over 2ppm--this tank is far from healthy, not sure how those guys are still living in there (they mostly hide in the rocks)
I'm mixing up water now and going back tonight, at least scrape the glass, do a WC and run some carbon. Tried calling the dude but goes straight to voicemail

Wait for your friend to come back. Talk to him. Maybe refer him here - make it a positive experience.

Offer to HELP him with his tank, don't rip on him for making one of the typical newbie mistakes that probably 80% of people make (if not that mistake, there are plenty of others to choose from).

If the fish has been in that tank for a while, a few more days is not life or death. This isn't the same as a dog that hasn't eaten in weeks or has a collar embedded into its flesh.

You said yourself that it looks healthy enough - a few more days until you can have a civilized conversation won't be the end of the world.

I can tell you from 14 years in the retail fish biz, the last thing you should do is be harsh and judgmental, all you will do is drive him away.

If you want to help the fish - and your friend, be kind and share your knowledge and encourage him to seek more knowledge. Help him get his tank in order. Help him to understand that a small tank is not the best place for a large tang, and help him rehome it to a more suitable place.

Big time teaching moment here - don't waste it.

Jenn

#1 Tell him he needs to read some marine hobby books
#2. Take the task you agreed to do only, you'll improve the quality of the tank but I bet that when he comes back to take care for his tank things will be back the same again.
#3 He/she don't need to give away his fish, I'm pretty sure he won't, you don't give away your pets when they grownup?, you buy them a bigger home!!!!
#4 To complete #3 refer him to the Drygoods forum so he could get the bigger home for his loved pet!!! Lol!

Back