should i rebuild my TEK fixture?

cdub

Market
Reaction score
I have a 6 bulb TEK fixture that recently had a ballast go out. This ballast controlled 2 of the 6 bulbs inside the fixture. In talking with TEK I can send it back to them and they will look at it for me, and then charge the appropriate repair costs. I have been considering just getting an ice cap ballast and wiring it into the place currently occupied by the cheaper ballast.

This fall I am planning on upgrading to a larger tank and included in that plan was a T5 canopy with ice cap ballasts. My thought process is that rather than paying for another cheap ballast I would go ahead and get one I can use when building my canopy. What are everyones thoughts?

Those ballasts aren't exactly cheap in price or quality. FYI, They run around $59. Do you plan on overdriving the T5 lamps? If so then the Icecaps are your only choice. But if not then just replace your ballast with an equivalent.

BTW, How do you like your Tek fixture overall? I just bought two of the 48" 8 lamp fixtures.

i really like the fixture, it only has 6 normal output t5 bulbs so i don't get quite the growth on my sps that i would like. i've never had a problem with it until now. i'm just trying to get around investing money in something i won't need in 6 months.

I have 2 lamp T5 ho ballast I am sure we could work something out on!! Shoot me a PM and we can talk. Not sure that it would be worth the trip to pick it up.

Jason

Back