should i support my sump?

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
hey guys ive seen people use foam pads under their acrylic tanks to even out the pressure over the entire bottom of the tank and to allow it to kind of "self level". i'm wondering if i will need to put some type of pad under my sump to support it. the sump is 14x24 made out of 1/4" cast acrylic and under normal operating conditions it will hold roughly 10 gallons of water and its max capacity is a little over 17 gallons. so including the weight of the skimmer and return pump i'm looking at around 100 lbs under normal conditions and when its at max fill it would weigh around 150-160ish. although there will never be enough water in the overflow to allow 7 extra gallons into the sump. even if the whole overflow drained into the sump it would only be 4 gallons or so. anyway sorry about the rambling but i thought it might be pertinent. so back to the question, considering the material and weight do you think i need to put some type of support between it and the stand floor?

Sure, I would give it encouragement every day. Oh, you didn't mean that kind of support?

my 80 gallon sump is 1/4 acrylic. think you are fine.

rdnelson99;1040058 wrote: Sure, I would give it encouragement every day. Oh, you didn't mean that kind of support?

lol

Hey Brijesh, I think you're fine since it's not a lot of weight in question. The acrylic can flex a bit so as long as the shelf/stand floor is flat and level there should be no worries.

Hey B,

Off the cuff, I would say don't worry 'bout it!

But if i remember right, you built it so you may want some duct tape or something ;-)

I have my sump on the bottom of the stand ( 3/4 ply) and I can barely hear the return pump in the basement under the tank. Having some cushion might offer some sound buffering quality although. For the most part I wouldn't worry too much about it, then again Clarkesville is really far away and I'm sure that I would not hear it here, in Blairsville.

-Ben

rdnelson99;1040058 wrote: Sure, I would give it encouragement every day. Oh, you didn't mean that kind of support?

lol good one

i laid down a bead of silicone around the inside edge of the stand and the sump would sit on the lumpy part that didn't get smoothed down by my finger if i push it up against the side of the stand so ill see if i can cut the excess silicone away and if i can ill go unsupported. thanks for the input guys... well except rich and ben you guys were useless as always :tongue:

i take that back ben was only semi-useless

Back