Show Your Lights / Canopies

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
We're going to be putting lights in a 72" canopy for the 125g. What we have right now are MH retros (2 250w's) and VHO strip lights.

What do you have in yours?

Please post a picture showing the configuration, with notes on how you mounted the lights, how close to the water, etc., and any other information you think might be helpful.

This is our first go at this and it's a little intimidating.

Thanks!

Linda...first of all good look if your "significant other" is your electrician!

Here are a few of the setups I have used over the 160 Cube. Both setups are about 10" off the water.

First picture was the Lumenbright with a single 400W MH and 2 75W VHO. Great light penetration but too much of a column look for my tastes.

Second pic is my current setup. A PFO reflector with 2X400W MH and 2 VHOs. I had 4 going but had to change out the ballast, IceCap 660 failed and I am using a generic ballast that can only drive 2 bulbs.

As for setting yours up, a few hints:

1. Lay everything out on the canopy first before attaching anything permanently. Gives you the ability to move things around to get the right lengths etc.

2. Zip-tie everything up, wires, connectors, etc. Keeps everything clean and from hanging down when the canopy is up.

3. Have a phone and 911 ready to call since Loren will be doing the work!:D
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
272621=15023-400W[1].jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
272621=15023-400W[1].jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="400W[1].jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
272621=15022-IMG_9105[1].JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
272621=15022-IMG_9105[1].JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_9105[1].JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Here is mine:

Custom low profile canopy for all t5 system. Thread is http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16873&page=2&highlight=canopy+today">here</a>

Images are clickable to enlarge...

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/corvettecris/SANY6454.jpg>
th_SANY6454.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY6453.jpg
>
th_SANY6453.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY6450.jpg
>
th_SANY6450.jpg
alt="" /></a>
tankfin.jpg
>
th_tankfin.jpg
alt="" /></a>

SANY7663.jpg
>
th_SANY7663.jpg
alt="" /></a>

And here is the Par in my 30" tall tank...

DSC_0005-1.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks, guys!!

Maybe we'll have a barbeque and invite some of you pros over to help.

My 'canopy' goes to the ceiling like this....

FTS011308.jpg
alt="" />

But the T5 lights are mounted on a rack that sits just above the tank. The rack is on slides so it can be pushed back off the tank (I've got 24" of space behind the tank). The ballasts and fans are mounted on the rack so they slide with the lights. There are six 5 ft. T5's inside the rack and one 4ft hanging on the front (the tank is a bowfront, the rack is square). I built something similar for Cameron that fit in a standard canopy.

LightRackClosedfromFront.jpg
alt="" />

LightRackOpenfromFront.jpg
alt="" />

Here is mine. The 3xLB's are screwed to the top of the flip top....a custom made piece by L&A ;) The 2xVHO's are attached to some simple cut wood blocks that I made to just sit at the same height as the LB's. The bottom of the reflectors are 7" off water and 11" from bulb to water surface. And the fans are the large metal ones from radio shack. They are a little pricey, but worked out better in the long run than getting many of the small computer fans. These move more air than 6 of your typical computer fans and these are AC current :) Attach to a power cord and away you go....you can also run multiple fans on the same cord too. The guy at radio shack told me he had 6 on 1 line with no problems.

lights.jpg
alt="" />

Back