Shrimp and wrasses

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
So would my 6 line hunt peppermint shrimp until they were extinct:/??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a melanarous and banded shrimp and various others with no issues.

I will say that I set my tank back 3 months pulling all the rock work out bc I had a six line kill a peppermint shrimp. I watched him do it, and reacted. Knowing what I now know, he would have just stayed. It was a new shrimp and I thought he was really cool, but now I scratch my head and wonder why I did that.

Short answer: Depends.

More elaborate answer: If the shrimp are present first, and if they have a bit of size to them, usually it's not a problem. There are exceptions to every rule, but in general, that works.

If the wrasse is a larger specimen, and/or the shrimp are tiny and/or the wrasse was there first, you pay your money and take your chances.

Same applies to most 'reef safe' wrasses. They can all give in to temptation on a small shrimp.

Jenn

JennM;1108680 wrote: Short answer: Depends.

More elaborate answer: If the shrimp are present first, and if they have a bit of size to them, usually it's not a problem. There are exceptions to every rule, but in general, that works.

If the wrasse is a larger specimen, and/or the shrimp are tiny and/or the wrasse was there first, you pay your money and take your chances.

Same applies to most 'reef safe' wrasses. They can all give in to temptation on a small shrimp.

Jenn

Roger that

I had a melanarus that ate them like candy. Also had a yellow coris wrasse that would partake at times. If the peppermint was too big to eat whole, they would grab it by the head and break it in half against a rock and chomp! If I hadn't seen in happen within 3 seconds I never would have known for sure.

Back