Shush my tank

bzb

Market
Reaction score
When I first setup my tank, it was relatively quiet. Most of the time, it's just a quiet rumble. I can deal with the occasional minor gurgle, but some days the tank is just straight noisy for hours. No matter what I do, it sounds like a bathtub draining (yes, that loud).

It's a corner overflow with a 3/4" drain and 1/2" return. I've cranked down my return pump to about 500GPH, max is about double. It has a 1.25" drain line that reduces to 1" for the bulkhead, then 1" down to the sump. There is a Maggie Muffler installed at the top that does quiet the drain noise somewhat - it's FAR noisier without it.

Ideas on quieting this thing further?

How opposed are you to a return line coming up and over the top of the tank?

I can never get those setups you describe to be even close to quiet. A herbie setup in the overflow with the return over the top can be very quiet and reliable.

When I first setup my tank, it was relatively quiet. Most of the time, it's just a quiet rumble. I can deal with the occasional minor gurgle, but some days the tank is just straight noisy for hours. No matter what I do, it sounds like a bathtub draining (yes, that loud).

It's a corner overflow with a 3/4" drain and 1/2" return. I've cranked down my return pump to about 500GPH, max is about double. It has a 1.25" drain line that reduces to 1" for the bulkhead, then 1" down to the sump. There is a Maggie Muffler installed at the top that does quiet the drain noise somewhat - it's FAR noisier without it.

Ideas on quieting this thing further?
Yup, converting it to a Herbie will silence it and allow you to increase the flow.

Your description above doesn't make sense though. You say you have a 3/4" drain line, then you say it has a 1" drain line. We'd need to know which it is. Some pics would help.

You don't live far from me and I'd be happy to help you set it up.

Not completely opposed to it, as the tank is up against the wall and the back glass is painted solid black.

Yup, converting it to a Herbie will silence it and allow you to increase the flow.

Your description above doesn't make sense though. You say you have a 3/4" drain line, then you say it has a 1" drain line. We'd need to know which it is. Some pics would help.

You don't live far from me and I'd be happy to help you set it up.

Well, aren't I a complete dingus? Need more coffee.

The drain is 1". I reduced from 1.25" to 1" above the bulkhead. It's 1" below to the sump.

The return is 3/4" from the DC pump all the way back to the tank.

Would love some help at some point... need to plan it out, then could definitely take you up on some assistance since it sounds like it's gonna get messy. I'll get some photos this evening.

My first tank made a similarly very loud gurgling. I was able to eliminate this, by allowing the flow through the drain lines to speed up. It’s complicated to explain without a drawing, but try decreasing your return pump speed if you are able. Otherwise check to see if the drain line is partially blocked, which could be decreasing flow rate.

Just 1 possibility among many. I’m optimistic that someone else will likely have a solution to your issue

Last edited:
Have you tried adding a gate valve to the drain line? You could reduce the amount of flow accurately and allow the pump to not be choked off. You wont need to dial it all the way down to a silent siphon, but you can let a minute amount of air in and it won't be too loud.

Have you tried adding a gate valve to the drain line? You could reduce the amount of flow accurately and allow the pump to not be choked off. You wont need to dial it all the way down to a silent siphon, but you can let a minute amount of air in and it won't be too loud.

I would worry about adding a gate valve to a single drain system. I would convert to an herbie as suggested by @lmm1967 . Then you can add a gate valve on your main return and have a secondary emergency return.

I have a 120 with 2 gates, no emergency. I let enough air in that it isn't an issue. I do plan on adding a float switch due safety to turn off the pump, but I just haven't yet.

Not completely opposed to it, as the tank is up against the wall and the back glass is painted solid black.

Well, aren't I a complete dingus? Need more coffee.

The drain is 1". I reduced from 1.25" to 1" above the bulkhead. It's 1" below to the sump.

The return is 3/4" from the DC pump all the way back to the tank.

Would love some help at some point... need to plan it out, then could definitely take you up on some assistance since it sounds like it's gonna get messy. I'll get some photos this evening.

Actually it shouldn't be too messy at all. With a singe corner flow setup I'd turn the 3/4" line into the main drain with a gate valve and use the 1" for the trickle & emergency line. That way if something clogs the gate the 1" line will be plenty big enough to handle whatever the return flow is set to.
Then come over the top with the 3/4" return.

Actually it shouldn't be too messy at all. With a singe corner flow setup I'd turn the 3/4" line into the main drain with a gate valve and use the 1" for the trickle & emergency line. That way if something clogs the gate the 1" line will be plenty big enough to handle whatever the return flow is set to.
Then come over the top with the 3/4" return.
2 120 gallon tanks plus a 180 gallon all running exactly as described above by Adam. Single overflow - just do it once - dual overflows - do it twice.

It runs fine, can be dialed in to be very quiet. As long as you don't have a tiny sump there's no need for check valves etc - it starts right up without worry.

search youtube for "durso converted to herbie" - you'll find videos of doing this and how reliable and quiet it can run.

Sounds like I have a little more research to do and a parts list to compile. Thanks yall!

Sounds like I have a little more research to do and a parts list to compile. Thanks yall!
It's really not that big of a project. A 3/4" true union gate valve, some PVC pipe & fittings with a couple unions is about all you'll need to buy. Probably best to temporarily shut the system down, design and dry fit all the new plumbing and start the system back up the way it was. Once that's done, glue everything together and let it dry. A few hours later shut it down again and swap in the new plumbing, fire it up and dial in the drain line.

Back