Sick? Cowfish

blus4ala

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a juvenile Cowfish. He is normally very active and the center of attention. This morning he was hiding in the corner. When he attempted to move he could not manage to overcome the wavemakers.

I now have all the pumps off except the sump
He now lies in the sand for 15 or 20 mins; tries to swim up to the top (his effort last ~5mins, then falls back down to the sandbed) He normally likes to be handfed and will react to the attempt to feed but can't align his mouth with the food.

Ive attached a couple of photos of the last sequence with him. He came up from the sandbad, attempted to eat (couldn't get it in his mouth, then sank to the bottom)

No signs of physical issues and was perfectly healthy 24 hours ago. I have a QT set up but wasn't sure if the stress from the move would offset the benefit of isolating him.

Not sure what I should be looking for; nor what to do about it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
George
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Quick video to give a better idea of his behavior. He will just sit on the bottom like he is exhausted

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/8wMCsEYm9ok<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Thanks Butch; I've updated it.

I thought he had died tonight; went to net him and he swam around for ~a minute or so then sank back to the bottom. Not sure what to do; he is the family favorite. Thanks for any input.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

From what you have said and seeing the video, sounds like it might be a swim bladder problem. I don't believe there is much you can do. Maybe try feeding him food that will sink to the bottom of the tank.

Back