Sick Frogspawn help

mmfarm

Reaction score
Hey all - new here but been on reef central for about 6 months. I have a 55 gallon reef that has been established since January. I have two clown, a dotty, file fish, and blue damsel. Lights are Marine Orbit Pro set at 60%. Water changes every 1.5 weeks. Salinity 1.24.
About 2 weeks ago i added a frogspawn that was doing well (fully opened). Last week I was adding a cap full of live plankton to the tank and unplugged the hang on the back Penguin 350 filter. I unfortunately forgot to plug it back in for about a day and a half. The tank had a pretty bad smell. I did a 5 gallon water change. The frogspawn has mostly closed up and seems to be partly dying off. The polyps that are barely extended are drooping. It sits about 3 quarters the way down and not in any direct flow. Any suggestions on remedy? LFS suggested a antiseptic dip which i will try tonight. Hate to lose it.
Thanks
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1088506=67940-frogspawn.jpg
>
1088506=67940-frogspawn.jpg
class="gc-images" title="frogspawn.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Dip may or may not help. Usually dips are for things like parasites, bacteria, or anything external that would be effected by the medication or the pressure change if you are freshwater dipping. Going to be a hard call if doing a dip is going to just stress the frogspawn out even more or not.

I wouldn't have it in direct flow, but it will need to be in some flow to help clean off any slime from possible die off. I think the best thing do is small daily water changes. Keep any organics and nutrients as low as possible in the system. Then just test your water and keep and eye on the coral. It can be hard to tell by just looking at a picture, but it doesn't look horrible. Really just looks closed up to me. Once your get your water back in check it should start opening back up.

Have you test your water at all after the accident? What likely caused the issue is a nutrient and/or ammonia spike form the filter being left off.

my first frog spawn almost completely died off, only had a little spot of tissue on him. I just left him alone and a year later he is healthy and happy as can be

hmmmm test your no3 .
maybe the dose of plankton was fouled some way

aXio;1088510 wrote: Dip may or may not help. Usually dips are for things like parasites, bacteria, or anything external that would be effected by the medication or the pressure change if you are freshwater dipping. Going to be a hard call if doing a dip is going to just stress the frogspawn out even more or not.

I wouldn't have it in direct flow, but it will need to be in some flow to help clean off any slime from possible die off. I think the best thing do is small daily water changes. Keep any organics and nutrients as low as possible in the system. Then just test your water and keep and eye on the coral. It can be hard to tell by just looking at a picture, but it doesn't look horrible. Really just looks closed up to me. Once your get your water back in check it should start opening back up.

Have you test your water at all after the accident? What likely caused the issue is a nutrient and/or ammonia spike form the filter being left off.
Axio - I actually ran out of testers but will be testing tonight (have been out of town until last night). Having an issue with green hair algae again (been a problem for about a month and a half) after the filter was shut off. Was able to get it under control by keeping the lights off for 3 days. Was going to try that again - will that further stress the frogspawn? My wife was in Premier (my LFS) this afternoon and they suggested the dip (not sure who she spoke with) - but may now hold off.
Thanks for the suggestions
Matt

I changed around the powerheads on my two tanks and damaged two torches. I think they were getting whipped around too much and cut on their skeletons.

I assume you have other circulation in the tank? Maybe without the filter running it got too much directional flow from the other powerheads?

Danh;1088527 wrote: I changed around the powerheads on my two tanks and damaged two torches. I think they were getting whipped around too much and cut on their skeletons.

I assume you have other circulation in the tank? Maybe without the filter running it got too much directional flow from the other powerheads?

The attached is my setup - i only have one other powerhead and it is pointing towards the surface. The frog doesn't really get blown on directly. The other attachment is the algae growth i am starting to see again after the unplug problem (not a great picture but can see the hair growing on the rock). Not sure if it is dino or hair algae - I don't know the difference. Unsure if that is causing the problem with the frog either. I am also running Phos-Zorb bag in the hang on filter (I don't have a skimmer).

This is a sport for the patient person for sure...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1088530=67946-algae.jpg
>
1088530=67946-algae.jpg
class="gc-images" title="algae.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
fieldset>

Just spoke with Liz. She is the one that worked with your wife today. Liz is our husbandry manager and is awesome at what she does. I actually go to her with a lot of questions myself. She said the dip was recommend because the coral looks like has some tissue damage. Maybe if your wife showed her the picture on the phone it was more clear then the uploaded picture. So the dip will definitely help to heal any tissue that might have been damaged or stress.

aXio;1088533 wrote: Just spoke with Liz. She is the one that worked with your wife today. Liz is our husbandry manager and is awesome at what she does. I actually go to her with a lot of questions myself. She said the dip was recommend because the coral looks like has some tissue damage. Maybe if your wife showed her the picture on the phone it was more clear then the uploaded picture. So the dip will definitely help to heal any tissue that might have been damaged or stress.

Thanks - she speaks - i listen

As an update: I dipped the coral in coralrx rinsed and placed it back in. He turned completely white and all polyps are gone. Sadly dead.... All other fish cleanup crew and small mushroom seem fine. Moral of the story, apparently filters are useful for something hence don't leave unplugged.

Come by the store and let Liz or I know. We will hook you up with a new Frogspawn frag.

Jakub - I really appreciate that. Just to be clear it wasn't any fault of the shop - the frag was very healthy when i bought it and for the first 2 weeks was doing well. I caused the problem and the dipping was a last ditch effort.
So again unexpected but the offer is appreciated. Being still new to this hobby - unfortunately I sometimes learn the hard-way and those mistakes are costly and frustrating. Gestures like this are appreciated and why spending my money at your shop instead of online is justified.

What's your temperature in the tank? Euphyllia do NOT like heat spikes.

Jenn

JennM;1088956 wrote: What's your temperature in the tank? Euphyllia do NOT like heat spikes.

Jenn

I've got some torches not doing well. Maybe that's my problem.

Back