Sick Kole Tang

atcaw94

Market
Reaction score
My kole tang looks like the skin is peeling off. He was fine until this morning, and noticed this.
I caught him and put him in a 10 gal quarantine tank.
Does anyone know what this is, or if there is hope?
He was the most beautiful kole tang I had ever seen, he had small dots instead of the usual stripes.
I'm really bummed....:sad:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/atcaw94/IMG_20140730_182007Medium_zps0db44816.jpg?t=1406759811" alt="" />

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/atcaw94/IMG_20140730_182001Medium_zps558aa9c3.jpg?t=1406759817" alt="" />

Hard to tell from those pictures. I'm dealing with a fish aggression now between my kole tang and female clown fish. The clown fish wounded my tang pretty bad. Are you sure nothing is fighting with it?

Sn4k33y3z;973283 wrote: Hard to tell from those pictures. I'm dealing with a fish aggression now between my kole tang and female clown fish. The clown fish wounded my tang pretty bad. Are you sure nothing is fighting with it?

Nope, doubt it. He's the biggest fish in the tank. Just happened almost overnight.
Another forum said they think it looks like Brooklynella....:sick:

Yikes. He needs meds I'm sure. Try to get some better pics for the fish doctors

To late, he's dead. Never seen a fish get that sick and die that quick.
Hope whatever it was doesn't take out the rest of my tank.

atcaw94;973376 wrote: To late, he's dead. Never seen a fish get that sick and die that quick.
Hope whatever it was doesn't take out the rest of my tank.

Sorry to hear that. I've heard that brooklynella is pretty fast.

LSU_fishFan;973387 wrote: Sorry to hear that. I've heard that brooklynella is pretty fast.

Yep, guys over on 3reef said by the time you realize they're sick, it's to late. Mine went from something seemed a little weird, to dead in less than two days. Seems like it wipes out the tank more often than not.

I'm late to the thread but if it's any comfort, I can't say as I've ever seen a fish overcome 'that'.

I'm not even 100% sure what 'that' is but I've seen it plenty of times. Usually on tangs, usually immediately after shipment.

How long had you had it?

I suspect it could be Uronema marinum, but I'm not positive about that.

Unfortunate loss, to be sure.

Jenn

JennM;973484 wrote: I'm late to the thread but if it's any comfort, I can't say as I've ever seen a fish overcome 'that'.

I'm not even 100% sure what 'that' is but I've seen it plenty of times. Usually on tangs, usually immediately after shipment.

How long had you had it?

I suspect it could be Uronema marinum, but I'm not positive about that.

Unfortunate loss, to be sure.

Jenn

Had him 3-4 years. Losses so far:
Kole Tang
2 clowns
Singapore Angel
Dottyback
Yellow Tang not looking good.
Chromi and Checkerboard Wrasse seem unaffected so far.

Yellow tang is one of my first fish, had him 5 years or so. Guess that will teach me to not QT new fish. Got a new clown and the dottyback last Saturday, fish started dying 3 days later.

atcaw94;974158 wrote: Had him 3-4 years. Losses so far:
Kole Tang
2 clowns
Singapore Angel
Dottyback
Yellow Tang not looking good.
Chromi and Checkerboard Wrasse seem unaffected so far.

Yellow tang is one of my first fish, had him 5 years or so. Guess that will teach me to not QT new fish. Got a new clown and the dottyback last Saturday, fish started dying 3 days later.

sorry for your loss! yes! QT is the answer and it's cheap...

Oh wow....

In that case... given that your new acquisitions are a clown and a dottyback, I'm going to suggest it might be Brooklynella. It's that time of year, clowns are the most prone, and in my experience, dottybacks can be too. And it spreads like wildfire.

QT what's left, and treat with Formalin 3 or Hikari Saltwater Ich-X (which contains Formalin).

Jenn

Back