Signs that clownfish are beginning to host?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so I have had my 2 tank raised Ocellaris Clowns for several months, and they were the first inhabitants (stereotypical I know, but they're cool to me, and the girls always say "oh how cute it's Nemo", lol). Anyways, before Christmas I got a nice sized frogspawn from ace and it has been doing well in my tank, good color, good extension, etc. Just before I left for work I saw the smaller clown swimming into the frogspawn and then doing like a whole-body shiver, then he would come out and swim around the whole thing and go back in. As soon as I approached the tank he swam out of it and up to the front glass to meet me. I backed off and he went at it again. I grabbed my camera and took some video (until the memory was full, that is) but haven't gotten it uploaded or anything yet.

First question, what are the odds of a tank raised clown hosting in the frogspawn? And are these the signs, or are they just getting my hopes up? I'm pretty sure they're already paired up as they swim within an inch of each other at night time and are pretty inseparable during the daytime. Anyways, I'll get that video up when I get home.

My clowns host in my frogspawn. The male will go fully inside the thing. It's pretty cool to watch.

From what I've read, the tank raised clowns have no idea about anemone and certain types of coral, such as frogspawn, provide a similar environment for them.

I must have DUMB clowns. They will not host. They have there choice of a nem and a hammer and a frogspawn and they just hang out in the corner of the tank.... DUMB clowns!!

Jason

Rockdog;269482 wrote: I must have DUMB clowns. They will not host. They have there choice of a nem and a hammer and a frogspawn and they just hang out in the corner of the tank.... DUMB clowns!!

Jason

Mine are the same way. They snuggle up to my powerheads and return nozzle as well.

I was at Blue Planet and I think I saw a black and white false perc(i think) hosting in a frogspawn... it was pretty cool lookin.

Here's the video from earlier when it looks like he was thinking about hosting. Since I've been home from work, they've pretty much not strayed from the frogspawn, and the smaller one keeps shaking and having seizures...normal?

au01st
alt="" /></a>

Rockdog;269674 wrote: yep he is hosting!! I have stupid clowns!

Jason

Have you tried putting the clowns and 'nem into a floating colander or plastic basket in your tank?

Just make sure your tank is covered. A floating colander close the the surface is posing a carpet-surfing opportunity for the clowns.

Haha, well I was gluing some frags down last night and went to get a small piece of rock from near the frogspawn to use as a base, and I got attacked by the clownfish! They were nipping at my hand when it got within 6" of the frogspawn (which was all closed up for the night). Before the lights went off, they were both actively swimming within the frogspawn, so I guess they're set. I really wasn't even counting on them hosting it, I just liked the frogspawn.

Back