Silicates and Algae

mred

Supporting
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">A number of years ago, I read an article (I believe it was in FAMA) that talked of a relationship between algae and the level of silicates in the water. Yes, phophates and nitrates were necessary for algae, but silicates also contributed. I haven't seen any other information since then about this and don't know of any tests for silicates.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Does anyone know if there is validity to the relationship between the level of silicates and algae growth?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Related to that, do all RO/DI units with TFC (those that remove 99% of the "stuff") remove silicates? Or does Kent have a corner on silicate removal?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Ed</span></span>

That would be correct! Silicates play a big role. Salifert as well as Seachem make test kits for testing silicates. RO/DI units remove them to some extent, but it depends on the unit and how well its working.

Nomad37

Back