Silicon, what's ok?

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
What silicon is ok to use?
I know they have silicon specifically for aquariums but is that just one if those things to make it cost more or is any 100% silicon ok to use to seal a tank?
Is they any recommendations that I can pick up at homedpot or lowes or just not a good idea?
I'd like to reseal my 65gal, before I start the build but want to make sure before I take that risk and not poison my tank later.
What you got, let me have some of your wisdom.
I'll thank you now and later.

Silicon type 1 is what you need. Avoid anything with mold/mildew resistance.

ghbrewer;952918 wrote: Momentive RTV 103 or 108.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

One is black, the other is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

GE number 1, I believe is 100% silicone and readily available at HD or lowes. A lot of people use it.

I purchase it from Amazon, they usually have the best price (plus I get free shipping with Amazon Prime). Momentive RTV 103&108 are the best silicone adhesive/sealants on the market for tank use, IMO. Someone told me at one time that NAPA sells it as well, but I have never tried checking there. I just bought 4 tubes of the black (103) for my 150 build, cost me around $32.

JDW is spot on with his statement, you do not want to use anything with mold inhibitors. But you also want to look at the tensile strength of the material, as this will lend to the longevity and structural integrity of the silicone.

Be careful of using GE silicone I, as I have heard of people having issues when using a lot of it. (Though many have had great success). Stay clear of GE Silicone II, it does have mold inhibitors.

Just as a another word of caution: When applying silicone to anything that will be housing livestock, be sure and let the silicone cure for a minimum of 24-hours (longer is better) before filing with water. Silicones will off-gas during the curing process. A good indicator of cured silicone is no (or maybe just a slight hint of) silicone smell any longer.

I've always used GE Silicone 1. Never had any issues with it.

aXio;952940 wrote: I've always used GE Silicone 1. Never had any issues with it.

I used the same when installing baffles in my sump. No issues so far.

GE Silicone I rubber silicone for windows.

You can also get Marineland brand in a tube for a caulking gun (removes any doubt you may have).

All Glass/Aqueon makes 1 and 3 oz tubes too for smaller jobs.

Jenn

Thanks all for the great advice once again, I went with the ge silicon 1 cause I could grab it quick at lowes and seal up the tank already, worked great and I read on the tube that it was 100% with no additive and also was food grade approved.
I'll give it a few days to set and then fill the tank for a leak test and cleaning.

ghbrewer;952923 wrote: I purchase it from Amazon, they usually have the best price (plus I get free shipping with Amazon Prime). Momentive RTV 103&108 are the best silicone adhesive/sealants on the market for tank use, IMO. Someone told me at one time that NAPA sells it as well, but I have never tried checking there. I just bought 4 tubes of the black (103) for my 150 build, cost me around $32.

JDW is spot on with his statement, you do not want to use anything with mold inhibitors. But you also want to look at the tensile strength of the material, as this will lend to the longevity and structural integrity of the silicone.

Be careful of using GE silicone I, as I have heard of people having issues when using a lot of it. (Though many have had great success). Stay clear of GE Silicone II, it does have mold inhibitors.

I had more problems with the rubberized waterproofing spray than the silicone, man that stuff is strong!

Back