silicone question

smokin' reefer

Reaction score
i bought a tube of Lexan 100% silicone for my baffles in my sump. its made by GE and is in a red tube. i dont see that it says type 1 or anything on it. does anyone know if this stuff is safe to use? i am getting ready to do my baffles this morning, thanks for the replies.

As long as its 100% silly cone you will be okay,

Aquarium sealant is an expensive word and brand for silicon
Just make sure 100% silly cone

says good for most glass and metal surfaces, water tight seal good for marine applications above the water line.

Above the water line.. Hmm its clear right? I have been told 10,000 time 100% is safe for fish, wait until some more ppl answer. I'm pretty sure your okay, but I would feel terrible if I was wrong and ruined your setup

Be sure it's the acetic acid smelling version I mentioned in another thread. There are various formulations that use different catalysts that give off other odors during cure. IE Oxime, Amine (Can't go into details on the chemistry beyond that) In addition, some formulations have a mildew inhibitor in them, not good for aquarium use! Usually if it says Aquarium Sealant it's the correct formula and safe for fish. Most times it's a little more expensive in that package.
Both General Electric and Dow Corning manufacture the fish safe versions

Home Depot now has Aquarium Silicone for three something a tube. About half the price of the pet stores.

Back