Simple auto water change setup

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
So, I'm moving into a new house next month and have decided to pull the trigger on a AWC setup instead of dragging 60 ft of hose through the house. I will not be going with an apex so the dos is out. The room my fish tank will be in will require me to go about 10 ft up the wall into an attic and probably about 50 ft into the laundry room. Just want to keep it as simple as possible, LOL. Suggestions? Also, I'm a visual guy, so pictures would be very helpful.

I use a dual headed stenner pump. Here is a link from R2R that details it better than I could explain.

I use a dual headed stenner pump. Here is a link from R2R that details it better than I could explain.
I kind of like that idea, but it looks like it would require an apex. I wonder if these pumps could be used with the auto aqua water changer? 🤔

Multiple head, variable speed, Masterflex peristaltic pump for me. No Apex required.

You can find them used on eBay, etc.

I kind of like that idea, but it looks like it would require an apex. I wonder if these pumps could be used with the auto aqua water changer? 🤔
No apex needed. I use a smart plug to run it 25 min per day and a water line sensor that will shut power off to the smart plug if the water level gets below a certain amount.

No. I think I paid between 300-350 for mine new. They can probably be found used for $200, maybe cheaper than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We previously had a DIY Arduino setup for automatic water changes with a water tower (fresh, salt and waste containers). ATO ran off of it with a float switch, then matching timers in the Arduino for pumping waste water out and fresh salt water back in using two of the Tunze Osmolator utility pumps. With such a setup you will get salinity drift very slowly though. Utility pumps like the Tunze on a timer will not be as accurate over time as a dosing pump. You won't get the exact same amount of waste water out as fresh salt water back in. The ATO will compensate for this to maintain the water level causing the salinity to fluctuate a little. We ended up eventually getting an Apex and with it later replaced the Arduino setup with a DOS for the auto water change.

IMG_20200710_111410.jpg

IMG_20200605_151852.jpg

Last edited:
Back