Simple Electrical Question

superclown

Market
Reaction score
I picked up a simple flat style light socket with chain that is usualy hardwired into hous that mounts under cabinets. It has 2 screws for connecting lead wires. Im using a donar plug from a old freshwater heater. So I can plug it into a timer but I don't know which plug is usually hot and which is neutral. The plug is your standard one side fat one side skinny I have tried googling this simple question but can't find a diy article.

I know how I can easily figure it out:unsure:... but yah today is a good day and I would like to keep it that way.

Not sure I am understanding correctly. New cords have a plug where one side is larger (neutral) and one side is smaller (hot). These are calld "polarized" and make sure that the shell of the lamp holder is connected to the neutral whil the tab in the bottom is connected to the hot. But, using a heater cord means you do not have a ground. That is fine for a heater because it is double insulated but may no be fine for what you are attaching it too.

finally I know something that Rich does not.... or I hope this is the answer. in the flat plastic or porcelain pull chain style screw in light fixture there is 2 screws and gold and a silver. i believe it's the gold screw but on the fixture the center tab is the hot and outer side of the bulb in the neutral. i never have understood why they call it a keyless light fixture. the large blade in the receptacle in the neutral or white wire

18013.jpg
alt="" />

original

Yes and no Charles. LOL. A "keyless" means there is no switch integral to the lam holder. If it has a switch it is a "pull chain". But, if he is installing the one that you have pictured you will notice that the receptacle has a ground and that was my point. A heater cord does not have a ground wire (or at least most don't). You are correct as far as the orientation of the hot and neutral (as I mentioned in my post? On all receptacles and lamp holders such as this the hot uses a brass screw and the neutral uses a buckle/cadmium plated screw to indicate which is hot and which is neutral.

Good lord I hate auto correct. Lamp holder not lam holder.... Nickel/Cadmium not Buckle/Cadmium. And a few others. LOL

Mine looks similar to that with the exception of it only has 2 screws one for hot and one for neutral. On the chord itself I "thought" the smaller prong was usually the hot and the larger was the neutral I just wanted to be for sure before I wired it up.

I got it going and its been on for 4 hours now so far so good.

This solves my issue of having some light in my sump area. Thanks Guys

Back