Simple things to help you succeed

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I recently started a new system. I moved SLOW, making sure I was building things exactly the way I wanted, from the plumbing to the sump to sculpting LR exactly the way i wanted. I've been trying to do the simple things right, that make reefing a little easier from the get go.

So...

In your experience what are some of the "simple things" that help a reef be successful?

My simple thing is..

1- Making sure there is PLENTY of flow around and through live rock, so that when corals do do grow in I'm not left with dead spots.

Spend at least one day researching everything you want to do before you do it. See how other people did it, find out the negatives as well as the positives, and have a backup plan for if it doesn't work out.

Like Crew said automate as much as possible. That way you can focus on the small things like keeping up with water changes and testing. Those two things we all kind of slack on over time.

walterp1982;1037108 wrote: Spend at least one day researching everything you want to do before you do it. See how other people did it, find out the negatives as well as the positives, and have a backup plan for if it doesn't work out.

This especially! Every tank is different. Just because it worked wonders for one doesn't mean it will work for you. What happens if it doesn't work!

Figure out everything you MUST do to maintain your tank in a stable state. Then break each task down into the smallest chunk of time it takes to do it without rushing. Automate what you can, once you know exactly what it's getting you.

For example at this time my 9 gallon tank cruises by on:
<ul>
<li>Two 1 gallon water changes a week - takes 5-10 minutes in the morning to dump my pre-measured salt into a marked 1 gallon pitcher & drop in a nano powerhead to mix for the day. Another 10 to verify & correct salinity and then maybe 5 to do the actual change of this & the (precut) floss pad in the filter.</li>
<li>2x a day top-offs via a shot glass - takes all of 30 seconds to note the water level against a marked waterline sticker and fill back up to the upper line as I leave or get home from work.</li>
<li>Nightly broadcast feedings of a small measure of cyclopeeze, ROE or blue crab row & LRS. 1 minute.</li>
<li>Clean the glass off every 2-3 days with a nano magnet cleaner, another 5 minute task.</li>
</ul>

By doing all that pre-measuring <u>one</u> time I've able to reduce maintenance to around 30 minutes or less every every couple of days... helps keep my procrastinative tendencies from kicking in which ensures I'll actually DO it, thus not need to do more to fix bigger problems if I were to let things slide. It's also taught me that automation isn't really useful in my case... that money is better spend on other things.

expect the worst and hope for the best.

eg: adding a heater may give stray voltage one day or stuck on (plan for it)
automation may get stuck dosing (plan for it)
ato may flood (plan for it)
anemone or other life may die and nuke the tank (plan for it)
flatworms, ich, etc

most of these come with experience, but it doesnt hurt to plan when murphy's law is at play.

i think i saw someone on here state the best advice on here though. keep water not livestock

BulkRate;1037133 wrote: By doing all that pre-measuring <u>one</u> time I've able to reduce maintenance to around 30 minutes or less every every couple of days... helps keep my procrastinative tendencies from kicking in which ensures I'll actually DO it, thus not need to do more to fix bigger problems if I were to let things slide. It's also taught me that automation isn't really useful in my case... that money is better spend on other things.

The number one problem in reefing = Life gets in the way, I guess i'll do that water change next weekend instead.

I set up a tank calendar with all recurring task and have the scheduled out and it reminds me what to do on what days. Makes maintence easier and saves time plus I never forget a water change or test.

Teach one of your children how to do water test and tell them it will prepare them for chemistry class. They will think it's fun and learn something at the same time

Don't fret over every little thing. Don't chase every little number.

Getting OCD over tiny details that have a normal variance, will suck all the fun out of the hobby - and it IS a hobby, and it's supposed to be FUN.

That doesn't mean it's OK to let things get out of control, but find the balance between knowing what you need to do and when you need to do it, and having time to just enjoy the tank without being critical of it.

Jenn

JennM;1037321 wrote: Don't fret over every little thing. Don't chase every little number.

Getting OCD over tiny details that have a normal variance, will suck all the fun out of the hobby - and it IS a hobby, and it's supposed to be FUN.

That doesn't mean it's OK to let things get out of control, but find the balance between knowing what you need to do and when you need to do it, and having time to just enjoy the tank without being critical of it.

Jenn
Just read the whole thread &#128077;I like this one the most when I first started out chasing numbers was the name of the game and I think it's most common for beginners. Anyways keep them coming!

Nicoli627;1037319 wrote: Teach one of your children how to do water test and tell them it will prepare them for chemistry class. They will think it's fun and learn something at the same time

I don't have children but I think this is very clever! Made me chuckle anyway.

A bucket top wet/dry vac. They are well worth the $20 to have on hand in case there is ever a water spill. Ask me how I know. :D

Back