Siphoning debris out of tank

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
I did a WC, and feel I need to siphon more debris out.
Is it ok to siphon into a sock and just let the water stay in tank.

When you siphon the sand, it's probably releasing sulfur and/ or other harmful material. If you add the water back to the tank, you would not be removing these substances.

Just my opinion

LSU_fishFan;1077129 wrote: When you siphon the sand, it's probably releasing sulfur and/ or other harmful material. If you add the water back to the tank, you would not be removing these substances.

Just my opinion

Agree, this is a good point Luke makes. Any water coming out from sand/gravel cleaning should be disposed and not recycled.

I don't have sand, BB. Also siphoning stuff of rocks.

I cleaned my sump this way a couple week ago: just a pump cycling water through a sock. I don't see any reason why this would be problematic.

JBDreefs;1077160 wrote: I cleaned my sump this way a couple week ago: just a pump cycling water through a sock. I don't see any reason why this would be problematic.
I've done this in my refugium 👍

LSU_fishFan;1077129 wrote: When you siphon the sand, it's probably releasing sulfur and/ or other harmful material. If you add the water back to the tank, you would not be removing these substances.

Just my opinion

dball711;1077132 wrote: Agree, this is a good point Luke makes. Any water coming out from sand/gravel cleaning should be disposed and not recycled.
Exactly it probably is releasing into the tank anyway. I doubt the water you take out has any higher concentration of sulfur than what is left in the tank. JMO

Im not looking to clean the water. Just did WC yesterday.More interested in removing junk,grit,small patch cyno and clean off rocks.

Fishlips;1077126 wrote: I did a WC, and feel I need to siphon more debris out.
Is it ok to siphon into a sock and just let the water stay in tank.

I've done this many times but before the water change. I'll put white floss inside a clean sock and over the black fliter and change it during vacuuming if its needed. I'll also add Aquavitro or Prime after as a precaution after.

With that said, I've done this for years. My tank is use to being "stirred up". I do believe our aminals get accustomed to their environment in which they are kept, if it's done gradually..
Just my thoughts.

Thanks, After reading someones thread on here about after scrubing algae of of rocks, and then his fish died, has got me spooked.

Yes, you can siphon through a sock and back into the tank.

That's what filter pads do 24/7. Targeting areas where detritus settles, with a siphon, is just more concentrated mechanical filtration but it's perfectly fine.

Jenn

As you read and mentioned, don't go over board and always be conscious of any new additions that may not be used to such spikes...

Back