Size of tank and amount of evaporation

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
How big is your tank and how much top off water do you go through ?

My 31 gal system uses 5 gallons s week.

i have about 120g total water volume and i am at about a gallon a day roughly... give or take a little .

So 30,60,120 all evaporating a gallon a day basically..hmmm that's odd . Not what I was thinking

So 30,60,120 all evaporating a gallon a day basically..hmmm that's odd . Not what I was thinking
Different homes, flow, temps, covers etc

For us -
30 gallon cube goes through 3 - 5 gallons per week

120 gallon goes through about 1 gallon per day

40 breeder going through about 5 gallons a week

180 + 60 with a 125 sump is going through 3-4 gallons per day right now

my system is about 120 gallons total and i am about a little over a gallon a day right now .

50 gallon DT (36x18x18) + 40B sump (~75 gallons system total) is using a little over 1 gallon per day right now. Lots of surface agitation, plus a ceiling fan in the room, plus exhaust fans in the cabinet to prevent moisture buildup (I have minimal holes in the cabinet to reduce noise)

People have their heat set differently. Some may also have humidifiers. Also how close the tank is to a vent.
After that the biggest factor is the square footage.
My system had 28sq, 12 for the display and 8 each for the sump & frag tank. I would go through 2 to 4 gallons a day.

People have their heat set differently. Some may also have humidifiers. Also how close the tank is to a vent.
After that the biggest factor is the square footage.
My system had 28sq, 12 for the display and 8 each for the sump & frag tank. I would go through 2 to 4 gallons a day.

Yes - interesting. I have a little less than 1/2 that surface area, and am using a bit less than 1/2 as much water. We do have a steam humidifier that’s set at about 45% RH on the floors it services, but I doubt it’s coming on for the basement where the tank is - it’s staying pretty moist down there!!

200 gallon DT, 100 gallon sump, I evaporate 3 a day

I go through about 10 gallons per day, top off every 5 days 55gal barrel.

Back