SkimMate house of horrors

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
I decided to breakout the microscope and take a look at what lives in my SkimMate. I saw quite a few different microorganisms including the typical. However, some look like creatures you would see in a horror movie with two and three legs. I will try and get some shots this week, maybe I can get some help on id'ing these creepy creatures.

It was a great reminder to wear gloves when cleaning out my Skimmer. I wouldn't want what I saw crawling into a cut.

Mimi's Fish;1029275 wrote: Guess I won't be cleaning mine with my hands anymore.

What else would you use to clean it? :bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama:

Bcavalli;1029256 wrote:

It was a great reminder to wear gloves when cleaning out my Skimmer. I wouldn't want what I saw crawling into a cut.

Really? I want to see the pic's of these nasty's!
It's such a pain to put gloves on all the time, ya know!

I have a microscope / telescope video camera. I've never used it, so it might take a little time to figure it out. Lol.

In the mean time, I'll try to get some still shots tonight.

It's scary....

Man - I have never used gloves when I clean out the skim cup. I might not want to see this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldedb;1029379 wrote: Man - I have never used gloves when I clean out the skim cup. I might not want to see this

Neither do I, but I don't really touch the inside directly. I usually rinse mine out with super hot water and wipe it dry with a paper towel. Also, doesn't it stand to reason that the stuff in my skimmer cup also exists in the rest of my water?

Declanisadog;1029381 wrote: doesn't it stand to reason that the stuff in my skimmer cup also exists in the rest of my water?

Sent from my iPhone Tapatalk

Yea , now recall the times you got tank water in your mouth ...

Tbub1221;1029413 wrote: Yea , now recall the times you got tank water in your mouth ...

How else are you supposed to measure salinity?

Video is posing a much more difficult time than I had expected. Lol. However, I was able to get a few still shots with my cell phone for now. Please forgive my poor video editing skills.

3c9c9d77-4415-491c-b5cb-12b4945501ca.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Some type of parasites
IMAG0711_2.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Some type of two leg or tentacle?
IMAG0711_20150427081957451.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Another two leg or tentacle?
IMAG0707_1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

That's so cool Brett! Doesn't look as scary as I was originally thinking it would be.

scramer74;1029645 wrote: That's so cool Brett! Doesn't look as scary as I was originally thinking it would be.

Unfortunately, you aren't able to see everything moving in a still shot. It's hard to visualize all the action. :( I'll try and get shots of the other types later today.

Back