skimmer advice

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
Been out of this hobby for a while. Im slowly starting to put my 120 together but ive been out of the loop forever. I still have my ASM G3 skimmer with meshmod and was wondering if technology had far surpassed it or is it still considered a decent skimmer for a 120. Ill probably do mostly softies this time with maybe one tang and a few small schooling fish.

Vertex omega and octopus are probably best bang for your dollar. The octopus I had was annoying to dial, but skimmed very well. The vertex omega 180 was stable quiet and I bought second hand so price was hard to beat.

MRC pro series, Bubble King, ATB ... Well I've owned 0 of the three so I can't tell you personally,but they are regarded as the best that money can buy.

My advice is fine a used vertex is you're golden.

I've been very happy with my reefoctpus sss1000. Set it and forget it except to clean the crap cup of course

Wow just read my statement... I cannot type tonight evidently

kevinbeth;1003653 wrote: Been out of this hobby for a while. Im slowly starting to put my 120 together but ive been out of the loop forever. I still have my ASM G3 skimmer with meshmod and was wondering if technology had far surpassed it or is it still considered a decent skimmer for a 120. Ill probably do mostly softies this time with maybe one tang and a few small schooling fish.
Your ASM is still a good skimmer. Skimmers still work the same. Some skimmer pumps may be more efficient than what you have, but a gate valve modification to your G3 would put it on par with most other comparable ones, IMO.

Back