Skimmer body what do you think

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
I got a skimmer body today and wanted to know what you skimmer junkys have to say.

What is the max Lpm or LPH it could handle?

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">25 5/8 total height </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">skimmer body 16 3/4 </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">neck 3 3/4 internal and 4 3/8 external dimension </span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Body 8 7/8 internal diameter </span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">What do you guys think this skimmer can handle LPM or LPH wise max? </span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">It has a little large diameter body but smaller neck. than my current skimmer so not sure if it can handle any more air then mine.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Current skimmer euro reef rs 180 Modded eheim pulling 17 Lpm.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">I will keep if I can set it up to run a 190 gal total volume sps tank. </span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">What do you think? Can it handle more than 17 lpm of air or would I be better off just buying a different skimmer.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">It is an ORCA skimmer not the dart pump skimmer but from protien skimmer. com </span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Here are some picks</span></span>

DSC_0001-3.jpg
alt="" />

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">
DSC_0003-9.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">
DSC_0005-8.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Thanks joe</span></span>

The size of the neck will limit the amount of air that the skimmer can handle. That's an interesting design. Is that a sponge in the skimmer body? Do you have any more pics?

wierd. I would definately remove the sponge, it's not going to work any wonders for you.

INstead of the sponge, if you have a piece of cast acrylic, you can get busy with a drill and made a pseudo bubble plate.

Thanks for the input guys.

I am afraid the neck is to small to handle more air than i get with my current skimmer. I am sure it could be a good skimmer for someone but i need a big skimmer for my next setup.

The stuff in the skimmer is mesh like material similar to what you use for mesh wheels. I think they used it to keep all the bubbles above the exit pipe but I am not sure. I have a call into them to see what i can find out.

Pic of skimmer in action you can see most of the bubbles are above the mesh.I am sure there is a better way to accomplish this.
http://www.protein-skimmer.com/gallerymore.asp?id=446996&page=2&galleryid=2650">http://www.protein-skimmer.com/gallerymore.asp?id=446996&page=2&galleryid=2650</a>

Jeff I have meter but it measure in LPM that can be converted to SCHM but i forget what the conversion factor is. This is a skimmer body it has no pump.

I can take more pic what do you want to see. The mesh and the legs it sits on can be taken out. The legs are not clued in. Then it looks like every other recirculating skimmer you have seen.

Joe

Thanks for the feed back. I still waiting to hear back about the larger neck from ORCA. If not I may get an Ehiem or go cheaper and try an Octo 3,000.

I would like to try a Sicce but my as well buy a new skimmer since I can't run it externally.

Thanks Joe

Joe--
I actually own the exact same skimmer from Orca. I got it as a blank and drilled it myself. I use a recirculating OR3500 that I've converted to a meshwheel and was pulling 17lpm and the neck was too restrictive. I actually contacted ORCA and they built me a whole new neck from the flange up (and the new one came with a twist-lock instead of the union). Cost me $100 but the results were fantastic. My bubble size completely changed, as did the consistency of the skimmate. The neck is 4.5" wide (ID) now and a few inches taller, and it could handle more air if I could get any more out of the pump. It's a fantastic skimmer. My tank is 200g by the way.

Thanks for all the info guys. I figured the octo 3,000 was not very good.

I feel weird about spending money on this body when i could just take my euro reef rs 180 and recirculate it and spend a lot less. I have the Eheim pump already. Just need some unseals and a drill bit.It has a 4.25 neck and 8" body already.

This skimmer body is built like a tank though.

jessezm nice to know it can handle that much. My next tank will be a Heavily stocked sps 156 and a 25gal working capacity sump and I may add a 30gal refug.

Thanks again Joe

Back