Skimmer cleaning?

How often do you remove and clean your skimmer?

• Once a month.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Every 6 months.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Annually

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Only when something's not working right.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • You have to clean it?

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
How often do you guys break down the skimmer and clean it? I probably do it once or twice a year. Obviously the skimmer cup gets clean weekly and I remove the pump and clean the impeller a few times a year. However, taking the skimmer body out, scrubbing it down and rinsing it out is probably only once a year.

I havent had the opportunity to clean much bc i have a nano skimmer. But once i get my 90 going that might change. So right now i dont know when to do it.

I cean mine every 3 or 4 months depending on skimmate production and skimmer body build up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Historically, every 2-3 months depending on degree of bioload/grunge.
I am hoping that by running a low nutrient system with day & night refugia, I am able to decrease overall maintenance.
We will see...

With a Neck Cleaner and a skimmate locker... I only clean it when something's not working right.

I clean the external pump every 6 months or so.

@anit77, I can't imagine the aroma of cracking open that locker to clean it. Maybe it's balanced by not having to interact with the skimmate as often....I'm currently on an every other month schedule. I leave the pump alone, but disassemble and clean the rest of the skimmer. My refugium light spills over into the other sump chambers and makes a mess.

I just had to dump the bucket last week and surprisingly it wasn't that bad this time. I was expecting the stench to gag a maggot.

I just got everything drained and will be pulling the skimmer out tonight. I'll post a pick of the skimmer cup. It looks pretty nasty and seems to have it's own ecosystem going on in there.

I figure I'm not cleaning the body of it unless something's not working... or it's super filthy. With all that water moving, it *shouldn't* get filthy... right?

I never cleaned my old ones, but I ran wet back then. I'm running really dry skimmate now, and the neck gets pretty gross some days. The foam seems to clear it out eventually, though.

I figure I'm not cleaning the body of it unless something's not working... or it's super filthy. With all that water moving, it *shouldn't* get filthy... right?

I never cleaned my old ones, but I ran wet back then. I'm running really dry skimmate now, and the neck gets pretty gross some days. The foam seems to clear it out eventually, though.
I find that my skimmer is a breeding ground for pineapple sponges and can get an algae film on the body, this can disturb the turbulence of the water and reduce skimmate production.

Vermetid snails can also use the skimmer & especially pump as a refuge.

How much skimmate did that giant pull anyhow? I know you had a 5 gallon bucket as a collection reservoir didn't you?

Mrc?

No, MTC. Marine Technical Concepts. The model is an MVX. Mine was a custom build at 4'.
Couple of brothers in New Jersey building quality products since the early 90's. I believe health issues forced them to close. I think I got one the the last units they built. It's a shame they're no longer in business.

I find that my skimmer is a breeding ground for pineapple sponges and can get an algae film on the body, this can disturb the turbulence of the water and reduce skimmate production.

Revisiting this, because that's EXACTLY what happened to mine over the last few weeks. I looked at my skimmer this morning and was like... is that a sheet of nori that somehow made it past the filter cups?

Nope, it's all the algae that built up on the body and finally sheared off and fell down to the bottom chamber. So, uh, I guess I need to clean it. Thanks for putting that into the universe for me @bhodges82

IMG_3839.JPG

Back