Skimmer Cleaning?

snarky shark

Supporting
Reaction score
I know people have been cleaning and aqyascapibg galore but wanted to poll how often people are cleaning there skimmers?

- collection cup with water change?
- deep clean monthly or annually?

Just wanted to see personal preferences and recommendations.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I know people have been cleaning and aqyascapibg galore but wanted to poll how often people are cleaning there skimmers?

Collection cup as needed and deep cleaning monthly

Collection cup when it get near full and deep cleaning when I notice its not performing well

Collection cup about every two weeks and deep clean every three months or do with vinegar and hit water. I have a neck cleaner and a skim mate locker that I need to install with all this extra time on my hands, that would pretty much supercharge my skimmer.

Collection cup as needed and deep cleaning sometime around twice a year. Typically I'll have to move something, clear the air intake or the pump will get stuck somehow and I'll just pull the whole thing and clean it. If it weren't for those events, I'd probably only deep clean the thing annually.

Deep clean; what's that!!! :cool:

I usually clean the cup as needed.

Cup as needed, don’t know what deep cleaning means, guess I best find out though!

Cup as needed. Deep cleaning every 5-6 months. @NanCrab this just means disassembly and cleaning of the skimmer down to and including the impeller.

Cup as needed, neck usually at the same time with a bristle brush. Full deep clean probably 2x a year. Just did my returns yesterday. I'll do all powerheads next week. Skimmers the week after.

The drier the skim, the longer between cup fills, or jug/skimmate locker fills. So that would determine cup cleaning for me.

I try to clean the skimmer & vacuum the sump at least every 3 months. It really depends on bioload & production. If it gets gunked up sooner, so be that.

Yeah, my skimmate is pretty dry. I clean the cup as needed, maybe about once a month. And do a deep cleaning about once a year. And I also vacuum my sump about every 3-4 months.

...if my skimmer pulls a lot of water for some reason, I’ll empty it immediately. This maybe happens 2-3 times a year.

oh, and this skimmer is the SCA-302, and has been running for 5 years.

Back