Skimmer for 29 gallon

gtox44

Market
Reaction score
<p style="text-align:left;">
What protein skimmer should I use on a 29 gallon reef tank? I've looked at the aquac remoras and I know they are good but they are expensive and rated for up to 75 gallons. It seems a little over kill to me. I would also like to keep it relatively quiet. Any suggestions?

Seedless Reefer;314875 wrote: I'm sure I'll get laughed at but for smaller tanks I really like the Coralife SS65.

and you can get them pretty cheap second hand.

however they're pretty bulky for HOB operation to me.

dawgdude;314881 wrote: Those skimmers are 50g MAX in my opinion and I personally think they are great on a tank around 30g. I have a SS125 and while they are good, the CL skimmers are much much more likely to overflow and are very touchy about water level. I only run them in sump due to fear of overflowing. Without really going up alot in price the Remoras are the best option.

+1
If you decide you want to try the CSS65 out i have one that i bought new and used for 1 year. I have a CSS220 cup on it so i could use the factory overflow spout on it but also have the orig 65 cup. In addition to the used pump I also have a brand new still in the box needle wheel pump for it. The pump itself was $40, the 220 cup $25. I'd let you have all the above for $75.

Back