Skimmer for Ozone recommendation

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
I don't really want to use my relatively price skimmer for my enaly ozone generator. anyone have a recommendation that's small and effective for an ozone generator?

Any skimmer that uses cast acrylic (not extruded) should be fine. Aquamaxx skimmers fit the bill, though they aren't as cheap as they used to be :(. BRS really ramped up the price after the acquisition. Still one of the less expensive options I guess. Anyway, I run ozone on my FC-80 and it's fine. I only have it set to ~25mg/hr.

Any skimmer that uses cast acrylic (not extruded) should be fine. Aquamaxx skimmers fit the bill, though they aren't as cheap as they used to be :(. BRS really ramped up the price after the acquisition. Still one of the less expensive options I guess. Anyway, I run ozone on my FC-80 and it's fine. I only have it set to ~25mg/hr.
How’s the clarity at that level ( what size tank?)?. What’s your target ORP? Im aiming for 100mg on the 230 with a target of 380. Those settings worked well on my 250 back in the day

System is only 65g. I actually don't have an ORP controller, so I play it safe with the ozone level. I started with around 25mg on a timer for just 5 minutes every hour and was blown away by the clarity the next day. Eventually bumped it up to 10 minutes but didn't notice any additional benefit so went back to 5 minutes to be safe. I guess it really doesn't take much when you're only looking through 2ft of water. Probably a totally different story on 6ft+ so my experience may not be super applicable to you. I do plan on eventually getting an ORP controller when I set up my 200g.

Just for fun I did try hooking up the ozone (same settings) to a Fluval mini skimmer but I was able to smell the ozone. I guess it was too small / didn't have enough contact time even for that small amount of ozone.

FWIW-
The best chemical resistance to ozone commonly found in hobbyist grade protein skimmers will be those made from polycarbonate. It’s also a tougher material and less likely to crack due to stress/impact.

Acrylic (polyacrylate) materials, either cast or extruded, can eventually show signs of degradation in the presence of ozone and other free radical sources (like yellowing or crazing in sunlight due to UV exposure). It is also more brittle (higher modulus for the engineers). Any differences due to ‘how’ they are made are likely to be subtle chemically or due to added processing aides (chemicals like mold release agents, plasticizers, etc.). We can’t know what those processing aides may involve because frankly the retailers & distributors typically don’t know themselves.

Here is a material compatibility chart for ozone-

I'm dosing into my Reef Octopus skimmer. Good performance at a decent price point. 240 gallon display, great clarity, staying on the low side at the moment at 360mV

Bubble Kings do amazing with ozone.
Young Dolph Money GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

Back