Skimmer Gate Valve Mod?

wbholwell

Market
Reaction score
I'll soon be buying an Octopus NW150, and I'm wondering if the gate valve mod kit is worth the extra 38 bucks. Does anyone have any experience with these?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
76148=4824-OctopusGateValveKitL.jpg
>
76148=4824-OctopusGateValveKitL.jpg
class="gc-images" title="OctopusGateValveKitL.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

not on that skimmer, but on a euro-reef and they are well worth it, imo.

you can buy a plastic gate valve here, but it's a bit of a drive... Ace hardware's have them occasionally, usually at the Handy Ace Hardware locations, there are two of them... I had to drive to tucker to get it, but they matched the web price of $11.00 for the valve, so it ended up being cheaper than $38.00 price to buy online...

http://www.handyacehardware.com/locations.aspx">http://www.handyacehardware.com/locations.aspx</a>

Check the specks, but it should be the 1.5" valve that you need, the other plumbing parts are pretty cheap and available at most HDs or Lowes...

hth,

Matt

you should ask leveldrummer, he has done that mod without the special kit.

I've done it as well. Just buy a gate valve from anywhere and put it on yourself. Mine was 15 bucks I think from reefgeek? I don't remember where I got it, but most fish places online carry them.

I'ld highly reccommend it. I have the same skimmer and did that mod. Although I bought all the stuff from HD and the gate valve someplace online. Just be very careful when cutting the orignal standpipe on there, if not fully supported you can crack the skimmer body.....I know I did :( But thats nothing super glu gel cant fix ;)

Here's one thing to consider with the mod tell me if I'm not correct but the pipes that come out of the skimmer are of a different diameter than the PVC you can buy at the box stores.

It is much cheaper to DIY but on my octopus the PVC fitting had to be wallowed with a die grinder to fit the gray pipe.

Back