Skimmer going berserk

jeffmuse

Market
Reaction score
A few months ago I broke my old skimmer and had to get a new Super Reef Octopus 3000 internal. Since that time I have not been able to keep the water level in the skimmer constant for more than a week.

Basically this is what happens: I will slowly dial in the skimmer over a 2-3 day period and will eventually get it skimming optimally. After 3-4 days the skimmer water level will either drop substantially (which will result in more adjustments) or it will overflow in a huge way. It is almost like when you use red slime remover and the water is more oxygenated... the additional oxygen causes the skimmer overflow.

The system uses an ATO so the water level in the sump stays constant. I have also checked the air imput on the skimmer and it is open and not impeded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stumped on why this skimmer will not work right.

The water level on my SRO 3000int sss calls for a water depth of 6-6.5", I would imagine your would be similar. Since I recently ungraded to nearly the same model you have, I did some reading on the issue and came across a few posts of ppl who have a propeller with a "dead spot, according to Coralvue tech support" that causes the pump to malfunction randomly. It may explain explain what's going on with yours. Just a thought.

I was Just curious but have you added a 90* elbow to your gate valve with a air vent to alleviate the water pouring through the output? If you haven't it sure cuts down on the noise, splashing and bubble output.

Mine has been set and forget once it was setup right. I Hope this helps you figure out the problem.

When you tinker in the water, the oil from your skin can cause a skimmer to stop fractionating. Same if you've fed the fish. So the time to dial in a skimmer is some hours AFTER you have done either of those, and keep your hands out of the water while you're dialing.

That may or not be the issue...

Do you use carbon? That can help alleviate berserk skimmer stuff too.

Jenn

Back