Skimmer going cray cray

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
Last weekend I turned everything off to mount some frags, superglue gel and epoxy. I left the skimmer off for a few hours but afterwards it was overflowing like crazy and producing micro bubbles. I ran it off and on throughout the week and it still did the same thing. Today I took it apart and gave it a good vinegar bath. Still overflowing and micro bubbles. I assume it's overflowing now because I cleaned it out but why the micro bubbles? Nothing's clogged, its not a new skimmer, been running for almost a year now. I wouldn't think the epoxy would still be causing issues a week later.

I was hoping someone experienced would comment because mine does the same thing from time to time. Two nights ago I had the valve totally closed and it was still overflowing. The next morning it was back to normal so I opened it and reset...
???
Odd piece of equipment!

What skimmers are you guys running? If it is reef octopus, that seems to be a characteristic of the brand. I had one and could never tune it in properly.

Mine is a RO SRO2000 int. I haven't had any issues until now. Every once in a while it would overflow but the micro bubbles is something new.

Every time you take out your skimmer and do a super cleaning, you have to go through the break in schedule 24-48 hrs to rebuild the slim coat on the skimmer walls.
As for the odd bubble action, every now and then check the air intake, they get clogged with a little muck which clears on its own most times, but the skimmer over drive was most likely caused but the glue and epoxy.
I've had to do one or two water change to get over skimmer over drive due to epoxy.
Skimmers are pretty straight forward, erratic behavior is usually due to small system changes.

I've dealt with the glue and epoxy before, but it usually doesn't take a week to subside.

Back