Skimmer Help

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I've had my Bubble Magus NAC5E HOB skimmer running off and on for about 4 weeks now on my 36g tank. I followed the start-up instructions (if you can even call them that) from the beginning. At first I was running my air-intake about 40% open. It produced a good amount of fine bubble which overflowed into the cup constantly, which I've read is normal for the skimmer. I had the water level adjustment about 1/4-1/2 the way open. I also ran the skimmer drain tube back into the tank because of the amount of water collecting in the cup. After the first week I was able to adjust the air-valve all the way open. I topped the tank off with RODI and the skimmer started going crazy so I started the adjusting process all over. Now it doesn't seem to want to keep a constant foam and keeps overflowing the collection cup. It's producing tons of bubble that just overflow the cup so matter where I adjust to. It is collecting crap in the bottom of the cup though but with the amount of water its collecting I'm really not sure what to do. Should I wait until I add more to my bio-load to try to adjust it? I started with dead rock in the tank, left it in the tank with the power head for about a month before starting the skimmer up. I just added a CUC yesterday and a few small frags from my 5.5g. Any ideas?

is there a baffel between the skimmer and your return pump area? if it overflows when you top off that means the water level is rising in whatever area the skimmer is in. they run best when they have a constant water level so if theres not a baffel seperating the areas then id put one in or if there is than just lower your water level a little below the top of it and that should fix the prob

I've adjusted the water level a good bit but it still runs water into the cup.

It's a HOB skimmer, no sump.

Turn the air off, get the water level adjusted so it does not go into the cup, then slowly open the air valve. If water overflows, drop the level. Increase air and adjust water as needed until you just barely get foam at the top of the riser where it goes over into the cup.

Back