Skimmer help

cshack5405

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a protein skimmer for my biocube 29g and i need some good suggestions. Please lmk what yall think and please post a link so I can see it and buy it if i decide to go with it. I don't know anything about them either so some info on them would be appreciated too :) thx guys and gals!

Did you end up taking the top off your cube for the new lights?

And do i even need one? I do a 5 gallon water change weekly and feed every other day. My lvls are always spot on but im just a planner and want to be sure in the future i don't have problems.

No i got the retrofit kit which fit in the hood. Does that make a difference?

Ive been all over the web looking at reef2reef and a bunch of other sites but i seem to trust yalls advice more.

We don't need</em> most the stuff we put in our tanks. Lots of it just makes life easier. That being said, I wouldn't ever choose to run a tank without a skimmer.

And I'm not tryin to spend crazy money on it bc my tank is doing great without it i just want it as a precaution thing lol

I have the Tunze 9002 on my Nuvo 24 at the office. I do 2.5 to 5 gallon water changes weekly, and still pull a lot of gunk out (though I am running bio pellets). If you come by, you can see it in action. It has the InTank Collection Cup that you will probably need to get (if you get the Tunze). Innovative Marine makes a Nano skimmer, as does Hydor, Eshopps, and some other manufacturers.

I had an Oceonic Skimmer that came with the used 29 biocube that I had. I was never impressed with it, but I didn't really understand the concept so I may not have had it set up correctly.

Both Jenn and the guys at Pure Reef have recommended just running Purigen for a tank that small. (I have a 30g and was inquiring about it.)

I use an Aquatic Life 115 on my BC29. It works. Sometimes well and sometimes not so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShanePike;953167 wrote: Both Jenn and the guys at Pure Reef have recommended just running Purigen for a tank that small. (I have a 30g and was inquiring about it.)

Do i just toss it in the back of my biocube? Obviously after i put it in the mesh bag needed lol

Cshack5405;953191 wrote: Do i just toss it in the back of my biocube? Obviously after i put it in the mesh bag needed lol

Yes. Do you have a media rack yet? If not you should build/buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the media rack. WC and add some matrix. I have no problem with my cubes. The work well. is the back of the tank open on that model? Most of the 28/29 are open back. If a Innovative Marine skimmers will fit, they work WELL for a small skimmer.

Just my $.02

Back