Skimmer modification?????

william1

Market
Reaction score
So I have skimmer from lifereef that I bought with the tank originally. Seem to me its not preforming like it used to. So I was thinking about doing a mod so I can get some extra bubbles going on in the skimmer. Its a venturi skimmer with a gate valve. I will post a pic of the skimmer. So what I am asking what is the best all around modification for skimmers. Should I add a recirculating pump with a perpeller. Or add another venturi intake. or a recirculating mod with a venturi? The second pic is from the repair I did a month ago.
dscn2630pe4.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2209mt8.jpg
alt="" /></a>

mesh mod. It's easy and will make finer bubbles

It does have a collection cup just not in the above pics. So heres a pic of the collection cup this is after week. This was 8 months ago now its half that.
cimg2217py0.jpg
alt="" /></a>

ares;213207 wrote: need a needlewheel to do a mesh mod AFAIK. he only said venturi.

WRONG! You definately don't need a nw to add mesh. You simply need an impeller, which the pump will have.

To do a mesh mod on a nw, you have to cut off the needles. With a regular impeller, you simply attach the mesh.

Have you cleaned the venturi at all in the past 8 months? Those things need regular maintenance to operate effectively.

Where do you usually keep the water level within the skimmer? In the pic above, it appears as if you run it relatively low. The first thing I would do is adjust the gate valve to raise the water level a bit. The things that you can do to improve the performance of this skimmer (besides making sure that it's operating optimally by doing your regular maintenence) is replacing the venturi with a mazzei venturi and, if not using a pressure rated pump, getting one.

I just cleaned the venturi nozzel like a month ago when the skimmer broke. It had a piece of bubble algea in it so the performance was not optimal. Whats the difference between the venturi and the mazzei venturi? Is there a link to a pressure rated pump? The company upgraded the origanal pump from some unkown pump to a mag7. I have a quite one 700gph on it now. If I were to blow in the venturi nozzle there is alot more action in the skimmer.

I keep the water level alot higher than in the pic. Usually right at the neck.

Ya I know I need a new skimmer the one I have sucks. I have a mag9 I could put on that sucker really give it a run for the money. I have thought about increasing the pump size.

I would call the guy for Lifereef and ask him for suggestions. I can't remember his name, but he's very helpful.

WILLIAM1;213296 said:
...I have a mag9 I could put on that sucker really give it a run for the money...../QUOTE]

What pump are you currently using with it?

I have a Mazzei injector around here somewhere and will see if I can find it. They are are considered the "standard" in venturi design and will pull more air than most of the other venturis out there. Lifereef offers them as an upgrade.

Im using a quite one 700 gph. I have a ma9 that I could try. If you had one that would be great. A new injector and larger pump might do the trick and hold me off on buying a new skimmer for a few months.

dawgdude;213289 wrote: What you said is technically correct. However, in this case your suggestion of mesh modding is gonna be a waste of time with absolutely no benefit at all. In order for a mesh mod to work......the venturi has to be ON the pump intake so then the bubbles get chopped up as they get pulled in. If your have a venturi after the pump....you just wasted your time.

So yeah I wouldnt do this William. I would have to agree and look at getting a new skimmer. that one doesnt do much for the new innovations recently. There are some killer skimmers out that now and as you know, its the core of your system and one of the keys to keeping it healthy. Clean out the one your have and increase the pump if you can to a larger one to get you by for now. Then pick up a nice used one or even pony up for a new one if you find one you really like. Im gonna put my deltec on my 125 even though that will be pushing it but once I sell my 90 I am putting that all into a skimmer.

You're in the right ballpark, but not quite there. The venturi needs to be on the suction side, so can be BEFORE the pump. This way as the pump sucks in water, it will also suck in air. The mesh will then break it up into a million little bubbles.

I'm not familiar with exactly how the lifereef works, but it would be extremely easy to plumb this.

dawgdude;213357 wrote: Haha Well I am going off of how it is currently set up and from the fact I can see the venturi after the pump in his pic. If he were to take off the venturi, retro it to the intake of the pump, then add an airline to it...then yes mesh modding will work. However with the way that skimmer is made, it seems quite inefficent IMO and mesh modding will make smaller bubbles, however I doubt the benefit will be nearly as great as buying new techology with say a bubble plate?

I would suggest trying out a larger pump and see if you see any improvement.

:) Oh yeah, buying a new skimmer is definately the best way to go. But, if you're modding, mod big! :D

Back