Skimmer on a Pico?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I set up my son's 5 Gal Pico last night, sand and water only so far. I put a Red Sea Prizm on it to pull some of the nitrates out with the partially dead LS. But I was thinking that it couldn't hurt to use the skimmer on the Pico, could it? Any one have any exprience with skimmers on Pico tanks? Sorry no pics yet..I'll take some this weekend. Thanks for looking!

The prism will fit on the back and you won't be able to see it. Just wondering if there really is any adverse effects of using one on such a small volume of water.

There will be 1 or 2 fish, small gobies in the tank. So there will be a bioload. The skimmer also gives the pico extra volume.

then go for it. The worst that can happen is over skimming (ive never heard of this, so it cant be that bad)

i dont think anything under 10 gallons needs to be skimmed personally, just keep up on your water changes with a good quality salt and youll be A OK

The worst that will happen is you'll pull out beneficial plankton slowing down the growth of coral... that is if you tank is even culturing enough to make a difference.

I don't think you can overskim, but judge the source on that one. :)

ace1204;237780 wrote: i dont think anything under 10 gallons needs to be skimmed personally, just keep up on your water changes with a good quality salt and youll be A OK

I couldnt agree more. Just do a bi-weekly 25-30% water change ans you'll be fine.

MR-6R

Not only will in increase the water volume, but it'll look hella-cool next to the pico! :)

You're better off with water changes. Why add equipment that you have to maintain when you don't have to? It's easier to to a wc on that tank then it is to clean the skimmer.

Dude come on....we're talking about a prizm....they don't skim, so there will be nothing to clean. This is purely for extra water volume ;)

Skriz;237990 wrote: MR-6R

Not only will in increase the water volume, but it'll look hella-cool next to the pico! :)

Heck, just get the MRC-6R and put the fish in the skimmer and throw away the pico.... :D

glxtrix;237992 wrote: Dude come on....we're talking about a prizm....they don't skim, so there will be nothing to clean. This is purely for extra water volume ;)
Yeah I know but I was giving Mark some grief LOL. Doing something to add some volume is always a good thing on that small of a tank. I think the hardest thing is keeping the salinity in check from evep with something that small. As far as nutrient export water changes will be fine heck you can do them with a dixie cup.

Lol, you're totally right John. I'd put it on just because you have it....if you see any ill effects or it's not doing squat, just take it off. Best thing about small tanks....their water change is a water change from the big tank ;) At least that's what I use to do, lol.

This is for sale Mark, it will add a little volume to your pico..If I don't sell it, I am gonna put it on my biocube 29 soon.

skimmer-1.jpg
alt="" />

Back