Skimmer or no skimmer???/

william1

Market
Reaction score
Thats the question. Im breaking my 90 gallon down and stuffing everything into my 50gallon cube. Most everything is transfered into the cube, but the fish and my most favorite corals and gigas clam. Can I add the rest of my fish to the cube and remove the skimmer off the 90 and put it on the cube instead, and leave the 90 running with just the coral and clam no skimmer for a few days or a week.

I have 2 skimmers but the skimmer Im using now is a smaller more compact a$$ kicking little skimmer. The second is aa dual beckett MRC skimmer which Im saving for the new tank. Will the 90 be ok without the skimmer for a while. Im just adding my stuff slowely and dont want to rush it.

Also I cant remember the gigas cant be removed out of the water when I move him. I should keep him submerged right?????

Clams can be removed, just watch out that they don't spit water at you. I wouldnt keep him out of the water as long as you can corals though. I think your tank would be fine with out a skimmer. Don't forget people still run systems w/o skimmers. Just make sure you keep an eye on your water and if it's longer than a week, do a water change :)

I figured it would be okay without a skimmer but I like to ask. It wouldnt be off more than a week. Im just moving everything really slow. I would hate to loose some af my little colonies that have been thriving well. I should have everything moved by sunday so I can get it cleaned out and for sale....

you'll be fine. If you're concerned about it, do water changes.

Im in the process of moving the fish and corals today to the new tank. And the skimmer so the tank will be empty besides the water.... Thanks for the input everyone..

Back