skimmer or no skimmer?

joshl

Market
Reaction score
i have read that some people go with out a skimmer on saltwater tanks with just soft corals and just do weekly water changes and have read that some people only run there skimmers a few hours a day
what are yalls take on it?

sorry about all the questions i am really green in this

Skimmer, unless can do a 25% waterchange every week...... EVERY WEEK

Skim 24/7 if you got one!

I am a big fan o' skimmin'. When I see all the gunk a skimmer pulls out that alone tells me that I should have one. :)

It can be done. Like the one above me said you would have to do 25% waterchange every week. I run mine 24/7. Alot of it depends on your bioload. Naturally if you have alot of fish and softies, sps etc you are going to have alot of waste and nutrients will get depeleted very quickly. If you have the money to get one I would advise to go ahead and get it. But if your strapped for cash you could put it on the back burner while you saved. I didn't have one on my 75 for about 3 months. Granted there was only softies, zoa's and only about 5 fish in the tank and I did about 20g wc every week.
It worked but was alot of work with all the waterchanges. All in all if you can afford one its good to have.

No need for a skimmer if you have less than 30g IMO. Just do water changes.

JetChris;317233 wrote: No need for a skimmer if you have less than 30g IMO. Just do water changes.

Only if you do weekly water changes of atleast 20-30%.

I Skim 24/7 and do a 10-15% WC weekly. I have a high bioload, but it can't hurt any is how I look at it.

Matt

Size tank and fuge also come into play. A skimmer, sorry an OVERSIZED SKIMMER is definitely worth saving for. #1 for the water quality, the big #2 peace of mind and #3 you're gonna upgrade one day

Back