Skimmer Pump Issues

declanisadog

Market
Reaction score
Got a used INS80 skimmer a couple of months back, and the pump is acting crazy. It will run for 30 seconds, then shut off for five minutes before kicking back on for another 30 seconds and so on and so forth. I've taken it apart, and cleaned it out really well. That did nothing. My thought is it's overheating, but i don't really know. Any input would be great.

Fixing an overheating pump is probably next to impossible since you have already cleaned it. If it were me, I'd look at a new pump if I wanted to keep the skimmer.

Could it be a bad impeller? If you hold the magnet, will the impeller still turn backwards? It shouldn't.

The ins pumps are resin sealed motors and does not have an internal temperature sensor, when those motors go out its trash.
Try putting it in a half bucket of water and pluging the pump in a diffrent outlet.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1019031 wrote: The ins pumps are resin sealed motors and does not have an internal temperature sensor, when those motors go out its trash.
Try putting it in a half bucket of water and pluging the pump in a diffrent outlet.

It's "running" in a two gallon food service container on my desk at work in vinegar for now. We'll see if my situation has improved when I get to work in the morning. I've been exchanging emails with their customer service department and they've been pretty helpful thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back