skimmer question

ls1boost

Market
Reaction score
ok i have a 55 bow tank with a rena xp2 canister 40+- live rock 30lb sand and have been buying stuff for a 110 build and im new to the game here anyway i bought a bunch of stuff from someone getting out of saltwater and i got a aquarium systems hob skimmer that uses the maxijet powerhead to drive it i have never used a skimmer before so i hooked it up to the 55 to see what all it did if it was worth leaving it on there or not anyway it has been on there for about a week and there is nothing in the collection cup am i doing something wrong or does it take longer looking for sugestions and comments thanks, mark

It needs to break in (even if it's used, it will need to get some "funk" inside to start working correctly. It also needs a correct water level inside (usually adjusted through various means involving the water return) and air adjustment (usually with a valve).

I am not familiar with the model you have, just answering about skimmers in general. And yes, as long as it isn't a total POS, it's worth leaving on... just get it set.

Is it producing any foam in the reaction chamber that you can see? I'll research this particular model (actually never heard of this particular skimmer) and get back to you.

One google click is all I needed!!!!!!!

It's a VISI-JET. By far not your best HOB. I remember buying one and never even using it (the zip ties holding it together was a turn off to me).

Contact Jenn (that's her screen name) and ask her if she remembers how to adjust this one as it's been so long, I don't remember.

Typically, any skimmer is better than no skimmer as anything they pull from the water is better than not pulling any wastes at all, and the oxygen they provide can be vital in an over stocked tank. I'd plan to use this one until I could replace it. Some viable HOB models that would be worth looking into would be;

Octopus
Bak Pak
Aqua C Remora (my fave)

Read here for someone who apparently had a simarlar problem with the same skimmer;

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159225">http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159225</a>

Happy reefing! And let us know if you ever get any skimmate from that sucker! As stated, any is better than none.

Retraction;

Sometimes Google fails me, or I see that Aquarium systems also makes the SeaClone skimmer, which I've heard a few good things about.

We really need to know what model this particular one is to tell you how you might adjust it to collect skimmate.

Just search google-images or ebay for protein skimmers and post a pic.

We'll help best we can.

A skimmer that uses a maxijet is not going to be nearly powerful enough for either of your tanks. Definately be on the lookout for a replacement.
Other than that, follow the advice given above and go from there. Pics are priceless.

im a tard use my brain and figure it out i was mising the air piece tubing (thats what i get for buying used stuff) which brings up another question what can i use in place of that valve and where can i get it to control air flow and yes it is a seacloan 150 i belive. also what skimmer do you guys recomend for the 110 build thanks

Back